Complete Blood Count

Complete blood count (CBC) is a blood test that gives information about the number of different types of cells present in the blood and the hemoglobin concentration. It measures components in the blood like red blood cells (RBC), white blood cells (WBC), hemoglobin, hematocrit, and platelets. It is used to diagnose conditions like anemia, infections, and blood cancer.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

How do I introduce solid foods to my 8-month-old baby?

Query: Hi doctor,My 8-month-old baby does not accept any solids or liquids other than breastmilk. The baby gets irritated if I offer anything else. How can I start giving solid food? I need guidance on weaning. Kindly help.  Read Full »

Dr. Syed Muneeb Mohammad

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I understand your concern. As you have asked for weaning advice. I would like to tell you that eight months is late to start weaning. The earlier we do it, the easy is for the transition. I suggest you do the following, 1) Start giving different foods as the taste buds ar...  Read Full »

Please tell me about tear drop cells in CBC count.

Query: Hello doctor, I just saw your pin about tear drop cells. I am trying to understand the meaning of this. Recently my 4 years old son had a CBC and the RBC was abnormal, he has tear drop cells 1+, schistocytes 1+, crenated cells 1+, stomatocytes 1+, schistocytes 1+, macrocytic 1+, microcytic 1+, poik...  Read Full »

Dr. Parth R Goswami

Answer: Hello, Welcome to The presence of crenated red blood cells, schistocytes, tear drop cells and stomatocyte is suggestive of hemolytic anemia. The G6PD deficiency, spherocytosis, immune hemolytic anemia, etc., are some of the causes for that. Microcytes and macrocytes could be due to an...  Read Full »

Why is my son having a high fever and throwing up everything he eats?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2 year old son is suffering from fever. The temperature right now is 100.4 degrees. He is vomiting every thing he is eating.  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to It is a sore throat, most likely of a viral origin. But, a bacterial cause should be considered if there is a significant pain the throat. The investigations to be done are CBC (complete blood count) and ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate). I suggest the f...  Read Full »

My 7-year-old son has enlarged lymph nodes. Should I be worried?

Query: Hello doctor, My 7-year-old son has lymph nodes behind his left ear and groin area. Since four years of age, lymph nodes have been present in the right neck and groin area. His general practitioner has requested a blood test, and we have the results in hand. Blood test results show low ferritin leve...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I can understand your concern. However, please note that such lymph nodes occasionally enlarge during viral or bacterial illnesses in children below eight years. These grow smaller on their own after the disease subsides. Do not worry. These lymph nodes are only of con...  Read Full »

Does a headache, nose block, and ear block indicate sinus infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had a cold for just over a week. I have woken up this morning with a headache that throbs with each movement. I blew my nose to find blood in it, and my ear feels all blocked. Could this mean my sinuses are infected? And is it worth seeing a doctor? Or will they not give me anythin...  Read Full »

Dr. Parth R Goswami

Answer: Hi, Welcome to You are having upper respiratory tract infection, that might be in the form of sinusitis, bronchitis, or rhinitis. I suggest you get the following tests done: Auscultation. CBC (complete blood count). Nose and ear examination by rhinoscopy and otoscopy. You will be given...  Read Full »

Why is my period delayed after stopping the birth control pill for a month?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 19 year old female, who weighs around 120 lbs, and I am 5.4 feet tall. I stopped using birth control around a month ago after being on it for about a year. This would have been the time I would get my period if I were still on it, but I am a week late. I have been having symptoms ...  Read Full »

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Since you have stopped your contraceptive pill, there could be hormonal changes due to which you are not getting your periods. Also, get your complete blood count and thyroid profile done. Avoid having sex till then. There is nothing to worry about, but better to get ch...  Read Full »

I got a shave biopsy for melanoma in situ. Did the cancer cells get into my bloodstream?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question about the biopsy that I had done. It was a shave biopsy, and it came back as melanoma in situ. I got a wide excision done, and it looks like there is still some of this mole left that was missed by the shave. If there was still melanoma cells in this left over part of...  Read Full »

Dr. Suvash Sahu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have read your query and concern. Melanoma is a malignancy of pigment-producing cells (melanocytes), located predominantly in the skin. The careful examination of lymph nodes can be determined by the staging of melanoma and the metastasis, that is, spread to oth...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for hydronephrotic kidney with PUJ obstruction?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother has a hydronephrotic kidney with PUJ obstruction. She also has a history of recurrent and severe UTI. I need an expert advice and treatment plan.  Read Full »

Dr. Shahil Khant

Answer: Hello, Welcome to If possible, send all the reports with images. I need to know the severity of hydronephrosis. What is the present creatinine level? What is her age? Only after seeing the above reports, I can suggest a treatment plan. She may require surgery. For more information cons...  Read Full »

Why am I having intermittent fever for the last three days?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been suffering from a fever for the last three days, which is not present the entire day. My temperature is 100.5 F now. May I know the reason?  Read Full »

Dr. Parth R Goswami

Answer: Hello, Welcome to If there are any other associated symptoms, please provide details about them. I suggest you get the following tests: Auscultation. CBC (complete blood count). CRP (C-reactive protein). This basic investigation can be done first for primary workup. Accord...  Read Full »

Does lymphocyte count increase in the case of AIDS?

Query: Hello doctor,According to my CBC report, my lymphocyte count is above the normal count. Does this range come under lymphocytosis? Also, I read that lymphocytosis is one of the causes of AIDS. I am confused; I thought AIDS destroys lymphocytes and causes lymphocytopenia. Please help me.  Read Full »

Dr. S D Sinha

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I understand your concern. Please let us know the clinical circumstances for which CBC (complete blood count) test is taken. You have both neutropenia and lymphocytosis, observed in multiple diseases infective pathology. Was this test prescribed by a physician or a doc...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.