Q. Taking combiflam syrup for a high fever of 102, but the temperature still not down. What to do?

Dr. Arpit Varshney
Published on Jun 14, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2019

My daughter is 10 years old and weighs 25 kg. She has 102 fever. I am giving her Combiflam syrup 7 ml at four to five hours intervals, but the temperature is still not down. Kindly guide me. What is the dosage of Meftal-P for the same?

Dr. Arpit Varshney

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

The cause of fever has to be found out. So, your daughter needs some investigations to be done like CBC (complete blood count) with ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), LFT (liver function test), KFT (kidney function test), serum electrolytes. Please get these investigations done and follow up with a clinician.

For symptomatic relief, I would suggest taking Paracetamol 1 g injection. Consult a specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.

For more information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

What has to be done for fever and chills in 3 years 6 months old child?

Query: Hello doctor, Fever and chills in a child of age 3 years 6 months. A mild cough is also noticed. What can I do?  Read Full >>

Dr. Rajesh Babu
Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Shivering may be because of a highfever, or because of urine infection or malaria. As of now use the below medication. Syrup Crocin DS (Paracetamol) 5 ml/240 mg, 4 ml if fever greater than 100 F every sixth hourly. Sponging with lukewarm water until the fever decreases ...  Read Full

Paracetamol tablets for tooth pain

Query: Hello Doctor, Can I take two Amoxicillin 500 tablets for my first dose of medicines for a tooth infection? Is there anything at home that will take the pain away?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you are taking Amoxicillin for your toothache, then let me educate you it is an antibiotic and not a painkiller. So, if you want to kill the pain, I suggest taking a tablet with acombination of Ibuprofen and Paracetamol after meals. The pain will be gone in just 1...  Read Full

Fever in Babies: When to Call the Doctor

Article Overview: Fever is a non-specific symptom. When babies have fever, it can be traumatic for the parents as well, because they are unsure of what is causing it and how to soothe the baby. Adding to their anxiety, the baby is unable to explain his/ her discomfort in words. This article deals with how to take care of a baby who is down with fever and when to seek medical help. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S
Child Health Specialist

Fever is not an illness by itself, but a symptom. It can be due to virus or bacteria. Viral fevers that come with the common flu or cold tend to subside within three days. They do not require antibiotics as these medicines have no effect on the virus. On the other hand, bacterial fevers like urinary...  Read Article