Common "Conjunctivitis" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq

Conjunctivitis

Conjunctivitis or pink eye refers to an inflammation or infection of the conjunctiva. Conjunctiva is a thin membrane that covers the white part of the eyeball. It is caused by a viral, bacterial, or by allergic reaction. Among these reactions, only bacterial and viral conjunctivitis are infectious. People with conjunctivitis may experience redness in the white of the eye or inner eyelid, tearing, swollen conjunctivitis, green or white discharge from the eye, thick yellow discharge that crusts over the eyelashes during the night that prevents eyes from opening in the morning, burning eyes, itching, blurred vision, redness, and more sensitive to light. Conjunctivitis often resolves on its own within one to two weeks. However, treatments help ease the discomfort and irritation of conjunctivitis.