Corticosteroids

Why do I become very dark if I stop using Clobetamil G cream?

Query: Hello doctor, I am using Clobetamil G cream since four years. But I did not get any irritations or side effects. But, if I stop using that cream I become very dark. If I consult a doctor, there is no use but if I use that cream again I will become very fair. Maybe my skin is addicted to this cream. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Clobetamil (Clobetasol and Gentamycin) is a strong topical corticosteroid cream, it is not a fairness cream. Clobetamil makes your skin very thin. That is why you feel you are getting fair. Thinning of skin makes it more sensitive to sunlight. Clobetamil is useful for ...  Read Full »

White patches developed on spots where corticosteroid was applied. Is it vitiligo?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter has skin lesions that started last year. They are on one side of the body. Initially, she got eczema kind small red rashes for which we applied Corticosteroid and later we observed whitish patches developing on those spots. Initially, the GP thought it could be tinea versicolo...  Read Full »

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history and clinical photographs (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From the present situation, it looks to be vitiligo. Since it is on one side of the body, it can be called as segmental vitiligo also. Tacrolimus is the right m...  Read Full »

I have eczema only in my legs. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I am aware that I have eczema. But, everything I try does not work. I have been having severe eczema since I was 8. I am about to be 19 now. I have tried using unscented lotions, dermatology approved lotions, organic oils and even all of the ointments doctors prescribe me with. The only t...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. Being a dermatologist observes in day-to-day activity few diseases have bad impact on lifestyle, out of which eczema is one of them. But, with your descriptions it seems to be atopic dermatitis, which becomes better as age progress. In ...  Read Full »

Paining arm with some change in skin complexion. How to treat this?

Query: Hello doctor, The last year my skin complexion changed on my hand and then it spread up to my elbow. I consulted the doctor and he advised for biopsy test. The result of which was fine. From this year my arm is paining because of this and the mark has spread up to my shoulder. Please help me in thi...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Can you please attach the picture of your hand? And also the biopsy report? Is it on just one side? Or both the arms? What do you mean by complexion change? Is it becoming dark or light?  Read Full »

Is it safe to use Corticosteroid cream on cheeks for eczema?

Query: Hi doctor, I have eczema. There is redness in my cheeks. I have used Corticosteroid cream for six days. Are there any side effects in using it?  Read Full »

Dr. Meha Malhotra

Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Corticosteroids should never be applied without a doctor's advise. Also, there are certain steroids which should never be applied on the face. If you could send me photos and details, I will be able to give you proper suggestions. Till then, do not use anything on your...  Read Full »

Should I worry about sudden drop in neutrophil and WBC count?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30 year old woman. I have recently lost a pregnancy at 19 weeks due to membrane rupture. I had induced abortion with Misoprostol two weeks back and there is no complication since. I have had a CBC done almost every week from the starting of my pregnancy and they were all absolutely...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: The WBC count (white blood cell) varies on day-to-day and hourly basis and also depending on variable internal factors. Corticosteroids can affect WBC count, particularly neutrophils. At present, maybe due to stress, which in...  Read Full »

Is lichen sclerosus a contagious disease?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been diagnosed with lichen sclerosus around my vulva a few months ago through biopsy. I am regularly using Dermol 500 lotion instead of soap to wash the area and applying Dermovate cream. However, I have developed a cut in the skin at the back of my vagina, which is not healing now...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine health concerns. Thanks for taking time to upload latest pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) of the lesions on both partner's genitalia.  Read Full »

How can I manage bumps filled with clear fluid on feet?

Query: Hello doctor, I get these bumps on my feet every year every few months. They are filled with a clear liquid. They do not hurt or itch unless I am applying pressure or if I break open the skin on top. The skin underneath is so thick and raw that it hurts when exposed. I have gotten these for 15 years...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I saw your clinical pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), this is called dyshidrotic eczema. It presents with itchy tense blisters over palms and soles usually, as it progresses the skin peels off. It worsens during winter like any other eczema. You...  Read Full »

Why has my breathing become severely constricted?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 63-year old male. About five days ago, I went to a large supermarket and bought a blender. When I turned on the blender for the first time, I could smell an acrid odor being emitted from the blender. My chest immediately tightened and my breathing became severely constricted. F...  Read Full »

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would recommend that you visit the hospital for a chest X-ray as probably you are suffering from bronchiolitis and hypersensitivity pneumonitis which are inflammatory conditions of the airways and lung tissues. This could also lead to pulmonary edema which is seri...  Read Full »

Can corticosteroids cause osteoporosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 43 year old male. I had been diagnosed with autoimmune polymyositis four years ago. I was previously a sportsman for most of my life with a reasonably healthy diet. I have been on Prednisolone and Azathioprine for four years, on Methotrexate for four years and Folic acid. I ju...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Corticosteroids can cause osteoporosis in a very short interval and four years is a long time. It would be difficult to for you to withdraw from corticosteroids as you have been on them for four years. So what can be done is to add up a good quantity of calcium and v...  Read Full »