Q. Does a COVID-19 patient without breathing difficulty need steroids?

Dr. Zubayeralam
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 20, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 21, 2021

My sister-in-law is COVID positive, detected yesterday by RT PCR. She is 35 years old. She has a mild dry cough and nasal congestion. Today, she had an HRCT done that showed patchy ground-glass opacities in the superior and the posterior basal segment of the right lower lobe and the left lower lobe's posterior basal segment. The findings suggest focal infiltrate (viral etiology), Co-RADS 6. CT severity index 2/25. She is non -diabetic and non-hypertensive. All other investigations are normal except for the mild increase in IL 6, LDL 144, TGL 248. Please suggest us the further management. Few doctors have suggested steroids. Does she need steroids? What treatment does she need? Please let us know. She does not have chest tightness or shortness of breath. Her vitals are stable.

#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, your sister-in-law has been suffering from a mild dry cough and nasal congestion. According to HRCT chest (high resolution computed tomography) it suggested focal infiltrate resulting from pneumonia due to COVID-19 infection or as a consequence or complications of COVID-19 infection. In other words, she may suffer from COVID pneumonia.

IL-6 (interleukin-6) is an acute marker, and its increase indicates the presence of infection or inflammation like COVID-19 infection. TGL means Triglycerides- am I right? Then she may need to take Fenofibrate to reduce TG and LDL (low-density lipoprotein).

As she has COVID pneumonia, some doctor has suggested steroid to prevent pneumonia from becoming worsen or severe. I think she needs to take antiviral medications too. Monitor her oxygen saturation level by a pulse oximeter.

Please prescribe the medicines with the trade name, dose, frequency, and duration.

#

I am trying to provide the prescription.

She can take the following medications:

1. Tablet. Zithromax (Azithromycin) 500 mg 1+0+1 for 10 days.

2. Tablet Allegra (Fexofenadine) 120 mg 0+0+1 for 10 days.

3. Tablet Fabiflu (Favipiravir) 200 mg 8+0+8, on day 1, then 3+0+3 from day 2 to day 5 (total five days). 4.

4. Capsule Finate (Fenofibrate) 200 mg 0+0+1 (after meal) to be continued.

Hopefully, the above-mentioned medications will help to lessen her present suffering. Give her steroid according to her doctor's advice.

|