Q. Chest x-ray revealed a flattened diaphragm. Please help.

Answered by Dr. Divakara P and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Copd or Asthma? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: Chest x-ray revealed a flattened diaphragm.  Please help.

My husband is 52 years old. He has never smoked and is currently training for a half marathon. He is very fit. For a couple of years, he is suffering from mild asthma and using Ventolin inhaler. For the past few months, he is suffering from chronic cough and that sounds like an asthmatic cough. This is not always relieved by the Ventolin. He had a spirometry test which came back normal. A few weeks ago he came down with pneumonia and had a chest x-ray which revealed a flattened diaphragm. He was treated with antibiotics, fully recovered from the pneumonia and had a second x-ray done a few days ago with the same result. The doctor has given him a referral to a pulmonologist, but the appointment is only after a month. I am very concerned about his x-ray results. I have attached all his reports for your reference. What are the likely diagnoses?