Q. Is it mandatory to wear spectacles for 1. 5 cylindrical eye power in one eye?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

My 7-year-old daughter has 1.5 cylindrical power in the left eye only. She has no problem without glass. If she does not use spectacles will there be any problem in future?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

I understand your concerns. This power of 1.5 cylinders although relatively small, needs to be adequately corrected. You see, each part of our body is dependent on our users for its development. The part we use the most tends to develop more, and the area we do not use tends to under develop.

The same situation is with our eyes, suppose during our developmental stages between 0 to 12 years, if there is a disease which causes us not to see far away objects, our brain, and optic nerves adapt to this and never develop the ability to see far away objects as clearly as ordinary people do.

In spite of our best efforts at a later stage, she may never be able to improve. So please make sure that she always keeps her glasses on, apart from of course while sleeping. Also regularly follow up with your ophthalmologist (at least once a year).

As she grows up, there are numerous ways she can avoid wearing glasses starting from contact lenses to refractive surgery. But for now, Please instruct her to keep her glasses on continuously. I hope this clarifies your doubts.

| 

Will it be harmful if I use the glass power of the normal eye for lazy eye?

Query: Hi doctor, I had cataract operation four months ago. My left eye vision has improved from +5.0 to +2.5 with glasses. My right eye vision is +7.0. My right eye is a lazy eye, which my brain does not use. I only look through my left eye. Since I do not use this right eye, can I make the right lens of ...  Read Full »

Does cornea become strong with age?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 36 years old. I had LASIK before 13 years and I started getting cylindrical number after five years of LASIK. Now, my number is left eye -2.75 at 140 axis and right eye -5.5 at 40 axis. My left eye number has been stable for the last 5 years and my right eye number is stable for the...  Read Full »

What are the drawbacks of using contact lenses over spectacles?

Query: Hello doctor, I would like to use contact lens instead of normal spectacles. Could you please tell me the types of contact lenses available? Which one should I use? Are there any drawbacks in using contact lenses?  Read Full »