Q. Is it mandatory to wear spectacles for 1. 5 cylindrical eye power in one eye?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Apr 11, 2019

My 7-year-old daughter has 1.5 cylindrical power in the left eye only. She has no problem without glass. If she does not use spectacles will there be any problem in future?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

I understand your concerns. This power of 1.5 cylinders although relatively small, needs to be adequately corrected. You see, each part of our body is dependent on our users for its development. The part we use the most tends to develop more, and the area we do not use tends to under develop.

The same situation is with our eyes, suppose during our developmental stages between 0 to 12 years, if there is a disease which causes us not to see far away objects, our brain, and optic nerves adapt to this and never develop the ability to see far away objects as clearly as ordinary people do.

In spite of our best efforts at a later stage, she may never be able to improve. So please make sure that she always keeps her glasses on, apart from of course while sleeping. Also regularly follow up with your ophthalmologist (at least once a year).

As she grows up, there are numerous ways she can avoid wearing glasses starting from contact lenses to refractive surgery. But for now, Please instruct her to keep her glasses on continuously. I hope this clarifies your doubts.

Will it be harmful if I use the glass power of the normal eye for lazy eye?

Query: Hi doctor, I had cataract operation four months ago. My left eye vision has improved from +5.0 to +2.5 with glasses. My right eye vision is +7.0. My right eye is a lazy eye, which my brain does not use. I only look through my left eye. Since I do not use this right eye, can I make the right lens of ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your one eye is amblyopic, so vision will not improve with any lens power. Yes, you can use glasses of same power (+2.5 D) in both the eyes. This will not have any harmful effect on your eyes. For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> h...  Read Full

Does cornea become strong with age?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 36 years old. I had LASIK before 13 years and I started getting cylindrical number after five years of LASIK. Now, my number is left eye -2.75 at 140 axis and right eye -5.5 at 40 axis. My left eye number has been stable for the last 5 years and my right eye number is stable for the...  Read Full >>

Dr. Anand
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Getting cylinder power after LASIK surgery is not a good sign. What was your power before surgery? May be you had a thin cornea and after surgery it is likely that it may get bulged giving power again. Strictly avoid rubbing eyes and get corneal topography test. It is ver...  Read Full

What are the drawbacks of using contact lenses over spectacles?

Query: Hello doctor, I would like to use contact lens instead of normal spectacles. Could you please tell me the types of contact lenses available? Which one should I use? Are there any drawbacks in using contact lenses?  Read Full >>

Dr. Anand
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Spectacles are the first option for refractive errors and contact lenses are only secondary. There are many types of contact lenses in various brands. Commonly used are soft contact lenses. There are daily disposable ones, monthly disposable ones and those which can be...  Read Full