Q. Are there any drawbacks in using contact lenses?

Dr. Anand
Published on Dec 23, 2014 and last reviewed on: Dec 18, 2018

I would like to use contact lens instead of normal spectacles. Could you please tell me the types of contact lenses available? Which one should I use? Are there any drawbacks in using contact lenses?

Dr. Anand

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Spectacles are the first option for refractive errors and contact lenses are only secondary. There are many types of contact lenses in various brands.

Commonly used are soft contact lenses. There are daily disposable ones, monthly disposable ones and those which can be used for more than a month. These are available in different price ranges.

Drawbacks:

1. Difficulty in maintaining hygiene.
  2. The contact lenses can be used only for eight to 10 hours per day, unlike spectacles.
  3. Chances of infection are present (from mild to serious).
  4. Corneal opacities and other problems may occur on long-term use.

I suggest you use monthly disposable contact lenses just for six to eight hours per day and only about five times a week.

Hope this helps.

Consult an eye care ophthalmologist online for further clarifications --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Why are my new glasses giving me a headache?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 21 year old male. This is the fourth time I am changing my spectacles. But this time, the spectacles are hurting my ears and my right eye. And I also have a headache. What do I do?  Read Full »

What is the best option other than glasses in case of keratoconus?

Query: Hello doctor, I have an eye disorder (keratoconus). I would like to know whether I can continue wearing soft lens. The hard lens/RGP lens provides a lot of discomfort. Do I have other options apart from glasses?  Read Full »

How to choose contact lenses for my power?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to buy contact lenses. I have a spectacle power on both my eyes. The power in my right eye is -2.75, cylinder - 0.50, and axis 20. In the left eye - 2.75, cylinder - 0.75, and axis 20. Please recommend what lens I should opt for. I need a recommendation for both regular wear a...  Read Full »