Q. I have keratoconus. Do I have other options apart from spectacles?

Dr. Vidya
Published on Aug 09, 2014 and last reviewed on: Oct 16, 2018

I have an eye disorder (keratoconus). I would like to know whether I can continue wearing soft lens. The hard lens/RGP lens provides a lot of discomfort. Do I have other options apart from glasses?

Dr. Vidya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Keratoconus is a degenerative eye disorder. This causes corneal thinning and leads to a conical shaped cornea.

Soft lenses can be used, the silicone lens with hydrogel based ones in particular.

Though RGP (rigid gas permeable) lens are preferred for better vision outcomes, a combination of soft and rigid lenses are also available.

If this option fails, then go in for surgical options like microwave thermokeratoplasty.

Lasik eye surgery: Basic Guide to Eyesight Correction

Article Overview: Refractive surgery is one of the fastest evolving areas in medical technology. It comes under the broad category of esthetic surgeries and has come a long way since its conception. In this article, I try my best to answer the commonly asked questions from patients interested in refractive surgery. Read Article

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Refractive surgery is one of the fastest evolving areas in medical technology. It is opted by patients to correct their eyesight problems. The main reason it has become so popular these days is better post-operative results that we can expect to get from these procedures, which we could not have a f...  Read Article

What could be the white spot in the eye?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a watery eye and I feel something is there in my eye since last week. It was really bad during the weekend and I found a white spot in the eye. I went to an ophthalmologist and he just had a look through the machine. He said it could be marginal keratitis and gave me drops and c...  Read Full »

Why are my new glasses giving me a headache?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 21 year old male. This is the fourth time I am changing my spectacles. But this time, the spectacles are hurting my ears and my right eye. And I also have a headache. What do I do?  Read Full »