Q. I have keratoconus. Do I have other options apart from spectacles?

Dr. Vidya
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 09, 2014 and last reviewed on: Oct 16, 2018

I have an eye disorder (keratoconus). I would like to know whether I can continue wearing soft lens. The hard lens/RGP lens provides a lot of discomfort. Do I have other options apart from glasses?

#

Keratoconus is a degenerative eye disorder. This causes corneal thinning and leads to a conical shaped cornea.

Soft lenses can be used, the silicone lens with hydrogel based ones in particular.

Though RGP (rigid gas permeable) lens are preferred for better vision outcomes, a combination of soft and rigid lenses are also available.

If this option fails, then go in for surgical options like microwave thermokeratoplasty.

|