Q. Why do I sleep all the time, even after taking tablet Modalert?

Dr. Abhaya Kant Tewari

I am sleeping excessively, and sometimes it interferes with driving. After a doctor's consultation, I had a tablet Modalert (Modafinil), 200 mg. Initially, it worked well, but now it does not work. I am sleeping in my office also. I frequently experience leg pain (starting from the thigh).

Can you please help me, doctor?

#

1. You have something called excessive daytime sleepiness. The causes of the same are many. A greater detailed history will be required to conclude the cause, like sleep apnea, narcolepsy, depression, certain medications, hypothyroidism, etc. Just taking the tablet Modalert (Modafinil) may not help you.

2. If you have excessive snoring, obesity, or irresistible sleep attacks during the day, you likely have sleep apnea. Otherwise, it may be a neurologic disorder for which more history and details will be required. You may need sleep studies, including sleep apnea tests if it is sleep apnea.

Thanks for the response.

Should I take any more tablets?

#

Without reaching a reasonable conclusion as to the cause of excessive daytime sleepiness, medicines are not the answer. The most typical reason is obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome, hypothyroidism, or other sleep disorders. I will advise you to go to a specialist doctor and get thoroughly investigated to reach a reasonable conclusion of the cause. Medicines can always be prescribed after coming to a reasonable conclusion.

|