Q. Why am I feeling excessively fatigue or sleepy with low heart rate?

Dr. Vivek Pillai
Published on May 29, 2019

I am wondering about the connection seen between my excessive fatigue or sleeping issue with cardiac insufficiency. I have excessive sleepiness due to mild sleep apnea. But I have a strange disconnect regarding exertion. Even, a slight anaerobic activity reduces my breath and it takes time to have a standard respiration rate.

When I use an elliptical machine, I have trouble in getting my heart rate up to 110 beats per minute. However, when I take Vyvanse, I can easily hit a heart rate of 125 beats per minute. I recover immediately after stopping it. I have a blood pressure of 130 by 88 mmHg. Currently, I am taking Enalapril, HCTZ, Amlodipine, Levothyroxine, and Prozac. These problems preceded my daily alcohol intake and minor cannabis use. Please suggest.

Dr. Vivek Pillai

Cardiology
#

Yes, daytime sleepiness occurs due to sleep apnea. If it is present in its severe obstructive form, it can cause a host of cardiac diseases like atrial fibrillation, coronary artery disease, and heart failure. The exercise intolerance initially develops the consequence of early heart failure. Also at your age, you may be suffering from chronotropic incompetence, that is, the inability to increase heart rate with exercise, and regular graded exercise will help you. Stay off from alcohol and cannabis.

My heart rate is low at rest and increases with exercise. What is it?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19-year-old male, no known health problems. My only symptom is a slow resting heart rate. I have seen it as low as 45. I feel perfectly fine, no syncope or dizziness. I am not an athlete so I do not know why it is so low. Is this cause for concern? With heart block, the heart ...  Read Full »

Atherosclerosis: The Silent Killer

Article Overview: Atherosclerosis is a coronary artery disease which is statistically the No. 1 killer. It is a silent disease, causing us no symptoms, and when it does, it can be life-threatening. Read this article to know how you can prevent this deadly disease. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S

The word '-athero' means paste and '-stenosis' means harden. So, atherosclerosis is the hardening of deposits formed inside the blood vessels, gradually building up to obstruct the blood flow in the vessel, and eventually, restricting the blood flow completely. Causes In a healthy person, the innerm...  Read Article

My heart rate increases with exertion. Should I be worried?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a severe doctor phobia. I am unable to go in for care, but I need to understand something happening better and if it is normal for my health. I had an episode of something a couple of months ago. I got extremely sick, started vomiting and sweating horribly, has chills and massivel...  Read Full »