Q. Why am I feeling excessively fatigue or sleepy with low heart rate?

Dr. Vivek Pillai

I am wondering about the connection seen between my excessive fatigue or sleeping issue with cardiac insufficiency. I have excessive sleepiness due to mild sleep apnea. But I have a strange disconnect regarding exertion. Even, a slight anaerobic activity reduces my breath and it takes time to have a standard respiration rate.

When I use an elliptical machine, I have trouble in getting my heart rate up to 110 beats per minute. However, when I take Vyvanse, I can easily hit a heart rate of 125 beats per minute. I recover immediately after stopping it. I have a blood pressure of 130 by 88 mmHg. Currently, I am taking Enalapril, HCTZ, Amlodipine, Levothyroxine, and Prozac. These problems preceded my daily alcohol intake and minor cannabis use. Please suggest.

#

Yes, daytime sleepiness occurs due to sleep apnea. If it is present in its severe obstructive form, it can cause a host of cardiac diseases like atrial fibrillation, coronary artery disease, and heart failure. The exercise intolerance initially develops the consequence of early heart failure. Also at your age, you may be suffering from chronotropic incompetence, that is, the inability to increase heart rate with exercise, and regular graded exercise will help you. Stay off from alcohol and cannabis.

|