Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. Although urine tests are negative, why am I having pregnancy symptoms?

Answered by
Dr. R Balakrishnan Menon
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 19, 2017

Hi doctor,

I am 11 days late for period. My husband had snip two years ago. I am having pregnancy symptoms although the tests are negative. What could be the problem? Thank you.

Dr. R Balakrishnan Menon

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology


Welcome to

Pregnancy changes are due to the progesterone hormone produced from the remaining of the ruptured follicle, also due to the hormonal imbalance caused by the hormones.

When you do not have periods, it means you had an anovulatory period. It means no ovulation, This would also alter the normal hormonal balance and you get the pregnancy symptoms.

After the age of around 35 years, you may not have ovulation every month. This problem of anovulation can be seen earlier if you have any of the following reasons.

Weight gain, especially around your mid-segment of the body, thighs, waist and breast. Try to reduce weight by regular exercise, aerobics, yoga, swimming, etc. Follow a strict diet with low calories and no fasting. Avoid junk foods and red meat. Try to reduce 2 to 4 kg per month. Target weight should be weight (in kg) = Height (in cm) - 100.

You had any surgery or radiation treatment in the abdomen.

Another common cause could be thyroid disorder, So, have a thyroid profile and serum prolactin level early morning in the empty stomach.

You can meet a gynecologist who can give you a course of oral hormone pills to have withdrawal bleeding.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Why do I feel vomiting sensation after having a contraceptive pill?
My TSH - 5.96, free T3 - 2.49, free T4 - 0.76, Age 33.Do I need thyroid medicine?
How much dosage of Sildenafil is advisable for erectile dysfunction in a diabetic?
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

How to reduce weight through yoga?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old obese boy. My weight is 110 kg and I feel myself unfit. I want to start practicing yoga for weight loss. But, I do not know anything about yoga. I want to know, how to meditate and relax our body and mind?  Read Full »

Why am I not able to lose weight even after dieting?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 35 years old and I started dieting early last year. But it seems like my weight plateaued. I have been eating a low carb diet during weekdays and on Sundays, I eat the carbs that I want to eat. I work out 3 to 4 times a week. I sometimes sleep late. I have been on this schedule f...  Read Full »

How to tell the difference between withdrawal bleed and implantation bleed?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19 year old female. I had my menses two months ago. I then had unprotected sex with my fiance when I was in my fertile period. I took an I-pill within four hours. The next day we again had unprotected sex and he came inside me. This was about 12 hours after having the first I-...  Read Full »

Also Read

This article provides you with all the information that you should be knowing about miscarriage. Although this is an emo...  Read more»
COVID-19 Testing
COVID-19 testing includes analyzing patient samples to determine current or past infections with SARS-CoV-2. Read the ar...  Read more»
I feel a restlessness in my legs, which decreases my sleep quality. How to get a refreshing sleep?
Hello doctor, I cannot get refreshing sleep some days in a week, and some days it is good. I also have difficulty sleep...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.