Anovulation

My daughter suffers with heavy periods and weight gain. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 15 years old and weighs 99 kg. She has immense pains during periods following which she cannot go to school for around 10 days a month. She has PCOS. She is in grade 10. She was on tablet Deviry and Ovacare. She also faints at times during periods. Earlier, she used to blee...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. She is a case of PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome). She is having anovulatory cycles with decreased estradiol levels and painful menses with severe premenstrual symptoms. She needs to be placed on low dose oral contraceptive pills for at least three to six months and M...  Read Full »

Can Depot injection affect ovulation?

Query: Hello doctor, I was on the Depo injection, finished it four months back, then started the pill for 8 days only. I wanted to try for a baby, I was wondering as I have spotted last month and had a period 14 days later, but all the time before that I have had unprotected sex and not caught pregnant...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is for your information that post prolonged use of Depot injection, the menstruation cycle is likely to be anovulatory for 2-3 cycles after it restarts post stoppage of injection. You had your initiation of bleed last month and had a proper menses 14 days later, ...  Read Full »

After how many days of missed periods, should pregnancy test be done?

Query: Hi doctor, I want to confirm something about my pregnancy.i have missed my period today is 63 days.my last period date is January30.in pregnancy kit I am getting negative I checked at 50 days .when can I take pregnancy test.six months back I have pcod.after that I used medicine after that I went fo...  Read Full »

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Answer: hi, you are having delayed Periods probably due to Anovulation. As your pregnancy test was negative at 50days , I would advise you to recheck again tomorrow morning, if it's negative it's advisable to take medication for withdrawal bleeding. and PCOS is not diagnosed based only on the ultrasound re...  Read Full »

Should I be concerned about not getting periods for 10 months?

Query: Hi doctor, I have recently started getting periods and I have not gotten my period for almost 10 months. I am not pregnant because I have never had sex, and I am also not on any contraceptives or medication. I am just wondering if I should be concerned? I read that this could be a hormonal issue th...  Read Full »

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are well informed. Adolescence does cause anovulation, that is, you are not ovulating every month. Hence, not getting regular periods. This is often due to an ever-changing hormonal axis in a girl's body. Give it some time to come into its own flow. You in the meanw...  Read Full »

Can I conceive with 100 kg weight?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 24 years old. My weight is 100 kg and height is 158 cm. I have attached my laboratory reports. I am presently taking Metformin 500 mg twice a day and Eltroxin 1000 mcg tablets. I stopped taking the tablets two days before the test was done. Can I conceive with this weight?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Considering you are obese, hypothyroid and still on supplementation, it indicates that serum insulin levels are high (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Hypothyroidism and anovulation could be a concern and you may be experiencing irregular menses. You...  Read Full »

I have had cramps and brown or slightly red discharge, but no real periods. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 43 year old female. I am thin build and have no health issues. I am a non-smoker and non-drinker. I do not have kids and not sexually active for the past 15 years. I had my hormone levels checked four months ago. The report showed no menopause and thyroid was fine. My two recent ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashwini Nanasaheb Talpe

Infertility Specialist, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This type of missed period could be due to ovarian cyst, which can also cause painful cramps with brownish spotting. Polyp can also cause pain with brownish spotting. If your hormonal profile is normal, then yes, you will get periods. Please get LH (luteinizing horm...  Read Full »

Is bleeding after 10 days of periods normal in a 17-year-old?

Query: Hello doctor,My 17 years old daughter had her periods last month as normal for six days. After 10 days, she suddenly got bleeding again. Apparently, it looks like periods. Is it normal? She had this problem of having her periods occurring quite frequently twice a month, but since last year it was go...  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. These are teenager menstrual cycles. They can have frequent cycles and anovulatory cycles with premenstrual syndrome (having multiple cyclic symptoms near and around periods like abdominal cramps, mood variations, vomitings, nausea, etc. Yes, you should have a check-up ...  Read Full »

What does my low AMH level indicate?

Query: Hi doctor, Last month on day 2 My TSH level was 4,9304 uIU/mL, free T4 was 102 ng/dL and prolactin was 30.63 ng/mL. My last six months menstrual cycle length were 34 days, 28 days, 28 days, 28 days, 36 days and 19 days respectively. My cycle statistics are as follows. Average cycle length 29 days, ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are suffering from hyperprolactinemia and borderline subclinical hypothyroidism. Both of which can cause delay in ovulation and hence irregularity in cycles. Ideally, menses between 23 to 35 days are considered normal as per definition. In your case, the concer...  Read Full »

I missed taking the birth control pill and now have severe bleeding. Please guide me.

Query: Hello doctor, I was prescribed a birth control pill to stop an ovarian cyst about two months ago. I have been taking the pill regularly, but I missed a day. I have been sexually active. I have now been bleeding for three weeks without a stop. My doctor told me to stop taking the pill until the blee...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing? Please do not get stressed out. You are fine. All this while, you have been trying to control the symptoms of the cyst, when the real cause of this cyst, which is anovulation is still present. Let me explain. You are not pregnant. I say this becau...  Read Full »

Although urine tests are negative, why am I having pregnancy symptoms?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 11 days late for period. My husband had snip two years ago. I am having pregnancy symptoms although the tests are negative. What could be the problem? Thank you.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Pregnancy changes are due to the progesterone hormone produced from the remaining of the ruptured follicle, also due to the hormonal imbalance caused by the hormones. When you do not have periods, it means you had an anovulatory period. It means no ovulation, This wo...  Read Full »