Q. How can I reduce weight?

Dr. Shakti Mishra
Published on Mar 22, 2019

I am 35 years old and I started dieting early last year. But it seems like my weight plateaued. I have been eating a low carb diet during weekdays and on Sundays, I eat the carbs that I want to eat. I work out 3 to 4 times a week. I sometimes sleep late. I have been on this schedule for the past 10 months. So for now, I am frustrated and worried why am I not losing weight.

Dr. Shakti Mishra

Fitness Expert Nutritionist Physiotherapy Yoga
#

Well, eating only low carbohydrate will not help. Follow a protein-rich, low carbohydrate, a fiber-rich diet that will fulfill the purpose. Have three small meals per day with lots of water. You can cheat sometimes with healthy junks. Exercise regularly with walk in the morning, at least for 30 minutes. Have low fat or skimmed milk in the morning, with brown bread. Avoid spices. Can have vegetable soup in the evening. Chicken and vegetable salad can work. Can start pilates, which works wonder for shaping up the body. Meditation before going to bed to bring positivity in mind and calmness. Warm lemon water early in the morning is also beneficial.

Thank you for your reply. So intermittent fasting is not recommended? I actually started doing pilates twice a week early this year.

Dr. Shakti Mishra

#

Fasting does not solve the purpose always. Continue with Pilates, have patience. It will show results.

Okay. Do I need to count calories? Also if I feel hungry at night. Is it okay to eat?

Dr. Shakti Mishra

#

Yes, you can keep a check on the weight every two weeks. Have an apple, or a biscuit or sandwich made at home besides you at night, to grab if you feel hungry. Never skip meals, you can become weak. Loose weight in a healthy way.

How can I control my urge to eat?

Query: Hi doctor, I am trying to lose weight for about one year now. I used to weigh 75 kilograms. With proper diet and exercise, I was able to reduce my weight. Now, my weight is 65 kilograms. But I am unable to control my urge to eat. I am cheating on my diet every single day and it makes me frustrated....  Read Full >>

Dr. Sumiya Sulthana
Nutritionist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have reached your normal BMI (body mass index). So after this, weight reduction will be a very slow process. According to WHO (world health organization), you are weighing right for your height. Coming to the eating problem, divide your meals into six small meals. E...  Read Full

My cervix length is small. Can I do some exercise to get normal delivery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 23-week pregnant with DCDA twin. My CL at week 19 was 28 mm and I was asked to take bed rest. Can I do any exercise because I prefer natural delivery? Currently, I am taking Progesterone tablets vaginally and also weekly Progesterone injection.  Read Full >>

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to iclinq.com. Cervical length needs to be checked again at 24 weeks for further advice. In general, twin pregnancy has a tendency for preterm labor. Your focus right now should be on preventing preterm labor rather than normal delivery. For normal delivery to happen, you do not need t...  Read Full

I think the Insulin injection is not reducing my mother's sugar levels. Should we change it?

Query: Hi doctor, My 77 year old mother, who weighs 115 kg, is suffering from diabetes mellitus since last 6 to 8 years. Her fasting sugar level is 180 and postprandial is 250. She is taking Insulin from the past 3 to 4 years, Humalog 50/50 (twice a day 40 units). And her HbA1c is also high. She also takes...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ankush Gupta
Diabetologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Weight reduction is very important in diabetes. Maintain a strict diet and walk daily to reduce weight. I suggest changing tablet Jentin Met (combination of Sitagliptin and Metformin) to tablet Galvus Met (combination of Vildagliptin and Metformin). Continue with In...  Read Full

Ask a Nutritionist Now