Q. Is it safe to conceive at 40 years of age?

Dr. Uzma Arqam
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 04, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2020

I am 40 years old woman. My husband is 53 years old. Since I married late, is it safe to conceive now or will I face any health issues? If safe, then when should I have sex to conceive at the earliest?

#

There is risk involved for conceiving at this age. Age-related screening is needed before conception even if you both are healthy and do not have any problem. As long waited oocytes (eggs) will be involved in conception, there are a few tests for conception at this age to check baby either it is free from anomaly or not like chronic villus sampling, amniocentesis and double, triple or quadruple tests to check early conception for excluding fetal anomalies.

I am not confirming any mishap but it is the only recommendation for lots of precautions. If you and your husband have been treated for any disease, better to take full treatment like thyroid or diabetes. Quit smoking, tobacco, alcohol and other recreational drugs. Start Folic acid 0.4 mg a day if you are not having any disease. If having diabetes or epilepsy, have 5 mg Folic acid per day.

Detailed preconception counseling and precautions are required in case of any disease if you have, like for diabetes, you have to achieve specific HbA1c level. If it is high, it is too dangerous to get pregnant and would recommend to avoid it. Similarly, renal, eye check-up is needed and frequent sugar level monitoring as well. Similarly, Insulin is mostly recommended in pregnancy with Metformin but rest of the drugs are mostly avoided for a safe pregnancy and nice outcome.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|