Q. How can dengue be treated in my 8-year-old child?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 16, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 22, 2022

My 8-year-old child is suffering from dengue fever. She has been having temperatures of 101 degrees in the nighttime for the past five days. Yesterday, her blood count was normal. But, today, her blood count is 12,000. I am very afraid. Please suggest any treatment. She is on NS I.V. only. But, she does not like to drink any liquid items either. What should I do?

#

Please note that dengue is a self-limiting disease. There is no cure to kill the virus or to increase the platelets.

Treatment is given only to hydrate the child in order to try to prevent the complications of the disease, which can be done by IV (intravenous) fluids like NS (normal saline).

Also, you should encourage oral intake. If oral intake is not there, then it is important to give IV fluids. Once this crisis phase settles down, the platelets will gradually increase.

|