Q. What is the cause for low platelet count?

Published on Jul 10, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 31, 2018

God blessed me with a baby boy before three months. This is my second child. I faced many problems such as diabetes, before two years back. I had low platelet counts before six months when I took a test for CBC. Three days before delivery, my platelet count was 44000 per microliter of blood. My doctor suggests me to go for a blood transfusion for delivery. Before delivery, I took three units. After delivery, I took one unit of blood, my platelet count was 172000 per microliter of blood. After a month when I took a test for CBC, my platelet count was 72000 per microliter of blood. I experienced a headache and fever for a few days. I take one Paracetamol tablet in the night. What can I do? Please suggest.

Hematology Pathology
#

Fever with a headache can occur in viral infection. Viral infection can affect the platelet count and can lead to low platelet count. Symptomatic management is done with Paracetamol and maintain your hydration.

Your peripheral smear examination, a liver profile is also needed to be done for the primary work up. Peripheral smear examination will detect any parasite and abnormal cells if present. Repeat CBC (complete blood count) after few days and if still, it is elevated then, think of other investigations.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

| 

From the attached reports, please tell me the reason for frequent urination.

Query: Hello doctor, From the past few days, I have frequent urination. I am attaching all the test reports that I have done so far. I also got an x-ray and CT scan of the chest, but as I am out, I cannot upload them now. I will upload them later if you need it.  Read Full »

My daughter has cough. Shall I give her Dexona?

Query: Hello doctor, My 5 year old daughter is suffering from a cough and mild fever for the last four days. Doctor prescribed with LCF Syrup and Azithral Syrup, but she is still coughing. Today, when she was sleeping, we heard cracking and wheezing sound and difficulty in breathing. Shall I give her Dexon...  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now