Q. I have fever, red rashes, and low platelet count. Is it dengue fever?

I am a 25 year old female, who weighs 24 kg and 5.3 feet tall. I have had a fever since last week. The fever was between 38 to 40o C. I also had headaches and lower back pain. Today I got tested for dengue, but that was negative. However, on my torso, neck, and face, there are these red rashes. The rashes are not itchy and flat, and they appear to be under the skin. Also, my platelet count was 79,000. I am currently taking Ibuprofen. I was wondering if it is possible that I tested too early for dengue and that it is possible that it is still dengue. If it is however not dengue, what could it be? Please advise. What to do?

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

• It could be dengue or any other viral infection. The presentation of all viral fevers is almost same. And any viral infection can cause low platelets count, and dengue is known for it.
  • During the first 4 to 5 days of fever, dengue NS1 antigen will be positive, while after that, dengue IgM test has to be done. At 4 to 5 days, both the tests can be positive or negative. So, you need to do dengue IgM test after two days or NS1 now.
  • Anyway, at this moment, you strictly need to avoid Ibuprofen. Only paracetamol is allowed. Ibuprofen may precipitate bleeding. Monitor your platelets count daily, and if it falls below 50,000, then get admitted. You should drink nearly 4 liters of water daily till platelets count normalize. Avoid straining to urinate and defecate.

Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

This is a sponsored video. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content/ad in the video.

Would viral infection affect the lymphocyte and neutrophil values?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a viral infection last week. Is it normal to have increased lymphocyte levels of 52 % and decreased neutrophil levels of 35 % after having a viral infection? It got healed within a week. I was fine when I did my blood test. My RBC and WBC are considered to be normal. As I have anemi...  Read Full »

Dengue Fever: Common Questions Answered

Article Overview: Dengue fever is a self-limiting mosquito-borne viral illness which has taken a huge toll on the public health around the world with over 390 million infections per year. So, there is a need to create awareness and break the myths associated with it. Various rumors and false treatment claims are frequently being shared on the social media sites, which do more harm than good. Read Article

Dr. Pratyush Kumar

1. What is dengue fever? It is a mosquito-borne viral illness which belongs to flavivirus genus. It is usually a self-limiting disease which may manifest as asymptomatic (without any symptoms) to severe dengue. 2. Can dengue fever recur? Dengue fever has got four serotypes DEN 1, DEN 2, DEN 3, an...  Read Article

Can a viral infection increase the ESR level?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 years old male. My recent blood report shows high ESR level (48 mm/hr). I am having a cough, fever, and a headache since eight days. The doctor told me that I have a viral infection, and has given me antibiotics and a cough syrup. Please guide.  Read Full »