Q. I have fever, red rashes, and low platelet count. Is it dengue fever?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 04, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 13, 2021

I am a 25 year old female, who weighs 24 kg and 5.3 feet tall. I have had a fever since last week. The fever was between 38 to 40o C. I also had headaches and lower back pain. Today I got tested for dengue, but that was negative. However, on my torso, neck, and face, there are these red rashes. The rashes are not itchy and flat, and they appear to be under the skin. Also, my platelet count was 79,000. I am currently taking Ibuprofen. I was wondering if it is possible that I tested too early for dengue and that it is possible that it is still dengue. If it is however not dengue, what could it be? Please advise. What to do?

#

• It could be dengue or any other viral infection. The presentation of all viral fevers is almost same. And any viral infection can cause low platelets count, and dengue is known for it.
  • During the first 4 to 5 days of fever, dengue NS1 antigen will be positive, while after that, dengue IgM test has to be done. At 4 to 5 days, both the tests can be positive or negative. So, you need to do dengue IgM test after two days or NS1 now.
  • Anyway, at this moment, you strictly need to avoid Ibuprofen. Only paracetamol is allowed. Ibuprofen may precipitate bleeding. Monitor your platelets count daily, and if it falls below 50,000, then get admitted. You should drink nearly 4 liters of water daily till platelets count normalize. Avoid straining to urinate and defecate.

Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|