Q. Can I drink water after a tooth filling?

Dr. Bharat Joshi
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 30, 2020 and last reviewed on: Dec 29, 2020

I went to the dentist. She told me that she would fill three teeth. But she found another decay in my canine tooth and filled it without telling me. There was no dark spot or anything on the tooth. I started to have sensitivity on that tooth after drinking cold or hot stuff and if I chew anything. I am worried whether she filled it wrongly or she did not remove the decay. She refilled it today and I drank some cold water to see for sensitivity. But I am worried if drinking cold water after filling can affect it. I am waiting for four weeks to see for sensitivity. Could drinking cold water or a drink after a filling (composite) affect the filling on the tooth? Will it affect in a bad way?

#

Drinking a liquid or eating a solid food after a composite filling has no effect on the restoration. If you feel any sensitivity, then there can be a pulpal exposure or a over filling. In both the cases, X-ray has to be taken. So, I suggest you to share the X-ray to confirm post restorative sensitivity.

The cause is pulpal exposure or overfilling.

X-ray has to be taken.

The chief complaint is sensitivity

The chief complaint is sensitivity

accordingly

accordingly

I request you to please share an X-ray to have the right diagnosis.

|