Dental Fillings

Why do I have pain and swelling after getting a temporary filling?

Query: Hello doctor,I got a temporary filling in my tooth today. But there was swelling and pain after five hours.  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand you are worried about pain and discomfort in your tooth. After dental procedures like filling a root canal, infection and pain are not so uncommon. Many dentists give pain medications and antibiotics before discharging the patient (after the procedur...  Read Full »

How to prevent infection in tooth cavity?

Query: Hello doctor, In my whole life I am known for eating candy and not brushing my teeth as much as I should. Today, I went to the dentist and said that I have nine cavities. This concerns me because I am not sure how long I had the cavities. This is my first time I am visiting a dentist. I read an a...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, by getting the tooth filled you can prevent further decay of the teeth. It would prevent any spread of infection. Yes, dental infection can get life-threatening through septicemia (bacteria in blood), which can go through the maxillary sinus to the brain. But, it ha...  Read Full »

Should I get a filling when a small part of composite restoration is chipped off?

Query: Hello doctor, If a tooth with a little bit of a composite filling that is chipped off at the edge should it be replaced? It is on a molar tooth and does not hurt. The dental explorer does stick in there but no signs of decay on the X-ray. What should I do?  Read Full »

Dr. Ummah Mohammad

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As there is no sign of decay, so you need not worry for now. But be extra careful with that tooth, you should maintain good oral hygiene, clean full mouth with fingers after every meal, there should be no food lodgement in your tooth. Rinse mouth properly after every...  Read Full »

What treatment should I take for cavities in teeth?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from cavities since childhood. And have got four teeth removed by the dentist. My age is 25 years old. What suitable treatment should I take for cavities?  Read Full »

Dr. Gaurav Pandey

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. To avoid dental caries, the most effective thing is proper oral hygiene. It means brush two times a day using floss, clean your tongue in a proper way. After that, we come to the treatment part. The best thing when you see a single black dot in your tooth, see your d...  Read Full »

Why do I have severe pain after filling cavity?

Query: Hello doctor,I had a deep cavity filled about five weeks ago. I had extreme sensitivity to cold since it was filled. I had no other pain associated with the tooth. Biting down was completely fine. Two nights ago, I started to get extreme pain on the right side of my face and jaw (the same side the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Asma Parveen

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. After going through your complaint, it looks like a condition called as acute irreversible pulpitis, where caries reaches the pulp or nerve endings of the tooth. This is very common in cases of deep cavities. So, there is no need to worry. It can be treated through a r...  Read Full »

Why is my cheek sore after a filling?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a tooth filling approximately 10 hours ago and felt excruciating pain when the local anesthesia was injected. I experienced pain from my cheek all the way up to my temple. The dentist was very rushed and just told me that the pain and numbing sensation could last for up to 2 hours...  Read Full »

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have mentioned that you regained sensation, which means the nerve was anesthetized properly and has reverted too. The numbness, pain, and swelling in your cheek might be due to accidental injection into the cheek muscles. I want you to check yourself if you can ope...  Read Full »

Can deep filling close to nerve cause sensitivity?

Query: Hi doctor, I recently broke a part of my back tooth besides an old filling. A week ago, my dentist removed the old filling and repaired everything with white filling. Since then, I have been getting a sharp pinch to the center of my tooth if I try to chew with it. There is no pain. It is a little se...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The sensitivity is indeed due to deep filling very close to the nerve for comfort. Usually, if it is very deep some dentists put a base below the permanent filling to prevent temperature difference inside the mouth to transfer it to the nerve. If it is not possible, th...  Read Full »

Is it safe to get an RCT for a 2.5-year-old kid's teeth?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2.5 years old son has problem in four teeth (front, above) and doctors are suggesting for RCT (Root Canal Treatment). I have attached the pictures with this query (attachment removed to protect the identity). Here are my questions: Can RCT (Root Canal Treatment) be done for a 2.5...  Read Full »

Dr. Tooba Qazi

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Thanks for attaching the pictures. Now I can answer your query in detail: This clinical picture represents a case of 'Nursing Bottle Caries'. That means, kids who take milk feed while sleeping or have the habit of keeping feeder in mouth for long and then sleep without brushing develop this typ...  Read Full »

Can I pull out a painless hard tooth as I got a hole in my teeth?

Query: Hello doctor,Can I pull out hard teeth out no pain because I got a hole in my teeth? Whenever I use to eat something, it got stuck in it and caused severe pain. Kindly give me some advice about pulling it out without any pain.  Read Full »

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through your question, and I can understand your concern. If the pain occurs only when you eat food and it gets stuck into it, it is reversible pulpitis. For that, you do not need to get it extracted. You need to get it filled, and it will cost you less th...  Read Full »

Can my tooth cavity be cured by filling?

Query: Hi doctor, I got my dental checkup done recently. A small cavity was observed on the side of my tooth between 2 teeth. I am attaching a photo of x-ray. Please check second upper tooth from left in the x-ray. Also let me know, if this can be cured by filling?  Read Full »

Dr. Nivedita Dalmia

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I checked the x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity) Yes, this can be cured by restoration.  Read Full »