Q. Why have I got dermatitis after rhinoplasty?

Dr. Rabia
Published on Feb 20, 2019

I had a rhinoplasty performed 3.5 weeks ago. About a week after the surgery, I developed some form of dermatitis on my nostrils. My surgeon prescribed me with antibiotics and steroid cream. It helped and cleared up temporarily. He advised me to use Vaseline on the area to help wound healing. Although three days later, dermatitis has flared up again. I am very concerned.

Dr. Rabia

Dermatology
#

It seems like post inflammatory erythema and few follicular papules over your nasal area (attachment removed to protect patient identity). A simple bacterial infection could be the cause that can happen after surgery. Please avoid using steroid like Hydrocortisone preparation over the area. Rather use an oral antibiotic. Did you notice any fluid-filled lesion over nostril? I mean blister? You will get better with an oral and topical antibiotic. Do not worry.

Bacterial infection, post inflammatory erythema.

Tablet Co-Amoxiclav 1 gm BD for one week, apply Fusidic acid ointment BD, take antihistamine tablet OD.

Maintain hygiene of area, wash with soap and water, avoid using Dettol and other irritants.

Seborrheic Dermatitis - the Most Common Scalp Condition

Article Overview: This article discusses the clinical presentation, diagnosis and management of seborrheic dermatitis in both infants and adults. Read Article

Seborrheic dermatitis is a papulosquamous disorder with an inflammatory component. It is characterized by well-defined erythema and accompanied by overlying greasy scales. Seborrheic dermatitis will be seen over areas rich in sebum namely scalp, eyebrows, center of the face, eyelids, around and in t...  Read Article

I noticed slight nose bleed a day after fall. Should I get it checked?

Query: Hi doctor,Yesterday I was walking and tripped, resulting in a facial injury from concrete. The point of impact was my nose, and aside from several cuts, I am unsure if it is broken. It is not crooked at all and did not even bleed when the incident occurred. But it is quite swollen and hurts to touch...  Read Full »