Diabetes During Pregnancy

How early can a baby be delivered due to diabetes in a pregnant women?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 26 years old. She is 33 weeks pregnant and detected with sugar all of a sudden. Her PP sugar level is 149 mg/dL. Can you suggest how to control it? How early baby can be delivered?  Read Full »

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Infertility Specialist, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A single reading of postprandial sugar of 149 mg/dL should not be a reason to worry unless your wife has a family history of diabetes or diabetes in the previous pregnancy. She can do one oral GTT (glucose tolerance test). It is a sugar test done in fasting and every...  Read Full »

What to do for fluctuating sugar levels in pregnancy even after insulin injection?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 7 months pregnant. My sugar is not constant and is fluctuating too much. I am taking insulin two times a day. I have attached my file.  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and gone through your reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It appears that you have gestational diabetes and cord around the neck of the baby. Now, this is a complicated pregnancy and you must follow a senior gynecologist with...  Read Full »

I had pregnancy diabetes. But, why is my sugar level shooting up even after pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, During pregnancy, I checked my sugar levels. It was very high. I consulted a sugar specialist. She gave me Glucophage 500 mg. In the seventh month, I used insulin. The doctor said that it is pregnancy diabetes and after delivery, it will get alright. But after delivery, my sugar ...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and from what you have mentioned, it appears that you have diabetes and you must take treatment for it. Gestational diabetes which you had during pregnancy may be the time you discovered that you had diabetes but you must have been havin...  Read Full »

My blood sugar levels got normal after delivery but raised now. What should I do?

Query: Hi doctor, Four years ago, I had pregnancy diabetes. Once I delivered my baby, the blood sugar levels were normal. I used to check the blood sugar levels and they were normal all these years. But since nearly six months, my levels started rising again. Usually, my fasting levels are high now and th...  Read Full »

Dr. Gowrimeena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is well known that diabetes during pregnancy is a forerunner for diabetes in later life. It is good that you checked your blood levels faithfully after your delivery and that is why you were able to identify the high levels. Having found out about these high levels, ...  Read Full »

Can diabetes medication be stopped as HbA1c has reached 5.6?

Query: Hi doctor,This is with respect to the health condition of my wife. She was diagnosed with type-2 diabetes with HbA1c of 10 three months back and was prescribed with Jalra (50/500), Invokana (100). We consulted a dietitian as well and went on exercise with full diet control. Took the HbA1c results ye...  Read Full »

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetologist, Family Physician, Microbiologist, Nutritionist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Since there was a sudden fall in HbA1c level, your doctor might have been surprised by the change. He might want to follow up for a couple of weeks or a month to ascertain that everything is going well. That is probably why your wife is no...  Read Full »

Is fasting blood sugar 131 considered diabetic?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife's fasting glucose is 131. Her post lunch glucose level is 121 and urine does not contain sugar. Her HbA1c is 6. 2. Her height is 5.4 and weight is 68 kg. What to do now?  Read Full »

Dr. Bindiya Thakkar

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. By these laboratory readings she has prediabetes. This should be treated. What to do will depend on a lot of factors. You have not provided any other medical history, family history, other medicines, lifestyle, etc. Revert back with the asked details to a diabetologis...  Read Full »

Will type 2 diabetes in mother cause any problem during pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, My fiance is having diabetes type 2. And I want to know what will be the impact in the following scenario. Can she postpone her period by eight days as we have some rituals to perform during our wedding? What will be the impact if she uses contraceptive pills in case of birth control?...  Read Full »

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read through your query and understood your concern. She can take Progesterone tablets (Medroxyprogesterone 10 mg twice daily) to postpone her period. These tablets may increase the requirement of antidiabetic medicines (tablets/insulin). So, she needs to monitor her...  Read Full »

To avoid diabetes during pregnancy, what diet should have to follow?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 26 weeks pregnant. This weekend I had my glucose tolerance test (3 hours) and on which I failed badly. My fasting numbers were 172, 325 and 318. I know they are bad, but my doctor never told me to follow a strict diet of three to five days prior to the test. In my pregnancy, I ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are suffering from gestational diabetes mellitus without any doubt. As per IADPSG criteria (International Association of Diabetes and Pregnancy Study Group) and DIPSI criteria (The Diabetes and Pregnancy Study Group India) both makes you overt diabetic. T...  Read Full »

High HbA1c in a pregnant woman. Please suggest what has to be done.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25-year-old lady about 6 to 7 weeks pregnant. My HbA1c is 12. What should I do?  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to diabetes guidelines, the patient should have strict diabetic control pre-pregnancy. It is better to have a strict diabetic diet and sugar levels within the normal range and have HbA1c less than 6. Frankly speaking, I feel that during conception, less than 6...  Read Full »

How to bring sugar under control during pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 11 weeks pregnant. I was diagnosed with diabetes before a week. I am taking Novomix 14 units of insulin injection in the morning and 12 units at night. But, sugar is not within normal limits. My PPBS is 190 mg/dl, FBS is 126 mg/dl. My TSH levels are also high 4.9 mIU/L. I have been ...  Read Full »

Dr. Tanvi Mayur Patel

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Make your FBS (fasting blood sugar) less than 95 mg/dl and after two-hours PPBS (postprandial blood sugar) as 130 mg/dl. Change your insulin dose to three times daily as it can bring sugar under control. Start taking tablet Glycomet SR 500 mg (Metformin 500 mg) after br...  Read Full »