Diabetes During Pregnancy

Will type 2 diabetes in mother cause any problem during pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, My fiance is having diabetes type 2. And I want to know what will be the impact in the following scenario. Can she postpone her period by eight days as we have some rituals to perform during our wedding? What will be the impact if she uses contraceptive pills in case of birth control?...  Read Full »

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Infertility Specialist, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read through your query and understood your concern. She can take Progesterone tablets (Medroxyprogesterone 10 mg twice daily) to postpone her period. These tablets may increase the requirement of antidiabetic medicines (tablets/insulin). So, she needs to monitor her...  Read Full »

How does diabetes affect the baby during pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a diabetic patient for two years and currently entered the third month of pregnancy. And till now, I did not consult any doctor. Is my baby safe? I am taking iron, calcium, and zinc tablets for six months. Please tell me about the precautions and healthy tips.  Read Full »

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, diabetes with pregnancy is a high risk pregnancy. The blood sugars should be checked before getting pregnant. In case a woman gets pregnant with high blood sugar levels, then there can be a risk of miscarriages, and certain congenital disabilities in t...  Read Full »

If we take Insulin injection during pregnancy, will it affect the baby?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is 38 years old. She had an abortion in 2012 around her six months of pregnancy due to the defects of diabetics. From that time onwards she has not taken any treatment for diabetics. As per her report, pregnancy starts from 18th February. We have started Insulin Eglucent three t...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your history, I gather that you have been taking insulin from early pregnancy and closely following it. If your blood sugar levels are well controlled with diet, exercise, and insulin, then there is nothing to worry about. There is no specific and extra chance for ...  Read Full »

Query: Hi doctor, My sister is 21 years old with type 1 diabetes. When she was 35 weeks pregnant, she had a cesarean section delivery. The baby's heartbeat stopped and they could not get it started. The doctors are blaming it to be due to diabetes. They said that the baby's blood acid was 25, which is five...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. Diabetes is a big problem and so, the pregnancy during diabetes is labeled as high risk pregnancy. It is very uncertain to know what side effect might occur. However, the side effects can vary from person to person. It is very difficult to commen...  Read Full »

How early can a baby be delivered due to diabetes in a pregnant women?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 26 years old. She is 33 weeks pregnant and detected with sugar all of a sudden. Her PP sugar level is 149 mg/dL. Can you suggest how to control it? How early baby can be delivered?  Read Full »

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A single reading of postprandial sugar of 149 mg/dL should not be a reason to worry unless your wife has a family history of diabetes or diabetes in the previous pregnancy. She can do one oral GTT (glucose tolerance test). It is a sugar test done in fasting and every...  Read Full »

What to do for fluctuating sugar levels in pregnancy even after insulin injection?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 7 months pregnant. My sugar is not constant and is fluctuating too much. I am taking insulin two times a day. I have attached my file.  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and gone through your reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It appears that you have gestational diabetes and cord around the neck of the baby. Now, this is a complicated pregnancy and you must follow a senior gynecologist with...  Read Full »

I had pregnancy diabetes. But, why is my sugar level shooting up even after pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, During pregnancy, I checked my sugar levels. It was very high. I consulted a sugar specialist. She gave me Glucophage 500 mg. In the seventh month, I used insulin. The doctor said that it is pregnancy diabetes and after delivery, it will get alright. But after delivery, my sugar ...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and from what you have mentioned, it appears that you have diabetes and you must take treatment for it. Gestational diabetes which you had during pregnancy may be the time you discovered that you had diabetes but you must have been havin...  Read Full »

My blood sugar levels got normal after delivery but raised now. What should I do?

Query: Hi doctor, Four years ago, I had pregnancy diabetes. Once I delivered my baby, the blood sugar levels were normal. I used to check the blood sugar levels and they were normal all these years. But since nearly six months, my levels started rising again. Usually, my fasting levels are high now and th...  Read Full »

Dr. Gowrimeena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is well known that diabetes during pregnancy is a forerunner for diabetes in later life. It is good that you checked your blood levels faithfully after your delivery and that is why you were able to identify the high levels. Having found out about these high levels, ...  Read Full »

Can diabetes medication be stopped as HbA1c has reached 5.6?

Query: Hi doctor,This is with respect to the health condition of my wife. She was diagnosed with type-2 diabetes with HbA1c of 10 three months back and was prescribed with Jalra (50/500), Invokana (100). We consulted a dietitian as well and went on exercise with full diet control. Took the HbA1c results ye...  Read Full »

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetologist, Family Physician, Microbiologist, Nutritionist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Since there was a sudden fall in HbA1c level, your doctor might have been surprised by the change. He might want to follow up for a couple of weeks or a month to ascertain that everything is going well. That is probably why your wife is no...  Read Full »

Is fasting blood sugar 131 considered diabetic?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife's fasting glucose is 131. Her post lunch glucose level is 121 and urine does not contain sugar. Her HbA1c is 6. 2. Her height is 5.4 and weight is 68 kg. What to do now?  Read Full »

Dr. Bindiya Thakkar

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. By these laboratory readings she has prediabetes. This should be treated. What to do will depend on a lot of factors. You have not provided any other medical history, family history, other medicines, lifestyle, etc. Revert back with the asked details to a diabetologis...  Read Full »