Diabetic Ketoacidosis

How to help my diabetic father get his appetite back?

Query: hello my father who is 62yrs old has diabetes type 2.. Recently, he started not feeling well. He has stopped eating, basically doesn't want to eat or drink anything. He's been like this refusing food for about 4 days now. His blood sugar is anywhere around 250-380 even though he isn't eating anythin...  Read Full »

Dr. Rinku Biswas

Pharmacologist, Family Physician, Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, The mentioned sugar levels are too high. The medication dosage is not mentioned. Only Metformin doesn't work for such high levels. He might need insulin too initially to control the levels and then eventually can be on pills depending upon the condition and thorough follow up. Please don't ign...  Read Full »

How does diabetes affect the baby during pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, My sister is 21 years old with type 1 diabetes. When she was 35 weeks pregnant, she had a cesarean section delivery. The baby's heartbeat stopped and they could not get it started. The doctors are blaming it to be due to diabetes. They said that the baby's blood acid was 25, which is five...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. Diabetes is a big problem and so, the pregnancy during diabetes is labeled as high risk pregnancy. It is very uncertain to know what side effect might occur. However, the side effects can vary from person to person. It is very difficult to commen...  Read Full »

What are the potential negative effects of long-term ketogenic diet?

Query: Hello doctor, Why ketogenic diet should not be done long term? Why it is not a good idea to follow a ketogenic diet for the long term and what are the potential negative effects on the body by following a ketogenic diet for the long term? Please comment.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to the icliniq.com. The opinion regarding keto diet varies from many studies. The ketogenic diet or low carbohydrate diet is helpful in weight reduction and should be done under trained nutritionist guidance. Self keto diet experience is not advisable. Although it is useful, the lon...  Read Full »

Is the presence of ketones in urine a sign of kidney damage?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 5 feet and 5 inches, 112 lbs and eat a normal diet. I recently had a urine test with trace ketones, although negative for glucose. My test showed cloudy clarity and presence of crystals. All the other values on the urine test were normal. I also had normal blood tests. My doctor is...  Read Full »

Dr. Pankaj Jawandhiya

Nephrologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The body generally uses glucose as its source of energy. When it uses fat as a source of energy, ketones are formed. It is a common finding in diabetes, called as diabetic ketoacidosis. It can also occur during starvation when glucose is not available as an energy sou...  Read Full »

Does alcohol smell from a diabetic a sign of ketosis?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband is a type-2 diabetic. He takes Metformin, Januvia, and Zoloft. He smokes marijuana and cigarettes. He has been on the strongest nicotine patch for the past week, but still smoking occasionally. Twice in the past week, he smelled strongly of beer or alcohol and I thought he h...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and from what you have mentioned, it appears that your husband has diabetes and he is trying to quit smoking. I would like to answer each one of your questions one by one: Yes, withdrawal from cigarettes can cause the person to be highly irritabl...  Read Full »

How can ketone level be decreased in a diabetic patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a diabetes patient. My sugar level in fasting is above 350 and I checked ketone in urine, it was found to be 4+. My height is 170 cm approximately and weight check found 62 kg. What can I do for ketone?  Read Full »

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar

Diabetologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Ketones usually develop more often in T1 diabetes. Especially when there is no adequate insulin and glucose levels are higher than 300 to 350 mg. It is necessary to take adequate water to eliminate those through urine. Avoid exercise when ketones are present. Try and...  Read Full »

Could you let me know the seriousness of my dad's diabetes?

Query: Hi doctor, I have attached the blood reports. And, with that it was diagnosed as diabetes. Please share your opinion.  Read Full »

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the reports posted (attachment removed to protect patient identity), which show a poor glycemic control. Are you, the patient? Or are these readings of a naive or a new patient? Is the patient already on medication? If yes, then on what medication?...  Read Full »

What complications can occur if I continued to have high blood sugar levels?

Query: Hi doctor, I am male, 73 years old, height 179 cm, and weight 120 kg. Has diabetes type 2, high blood pressure, gout, slight renal failure, had a heart attack almost 10 years ago and underwent a procedure of having two stents in his heart. Cholesterol. Takes medication for his illnesses. His blood ...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Such high sugars may cause acute complications like dehydration, diabetic hyperosmolar state or diabetic ketoacidosis, which may be life-threatening. He should drink plenty of water to reduce the risk of dehydration. Also, in long-term, it can lead to heart disease, ...  Read Full »