Common "Diabetic Macular Edema" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq

Diabetic Macular Edema

Diabetic macular edema is a severe eye condition characterized by excess fluid accumulation in the extracellular space within the retina. It is a serious complication in people with type 1 or 2 diabetes. Blurred vision, double vision, and eye floaters are common symptoms. There is no potential cure for diabetic macular edema, but proper medical treatment can slow down the condition's progression and prevent loss of vision.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

My father-in-law has diabetic macular edema. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,I am concerned about my father-in-law, who was recently diagnosed with diabetic macular edema. He has been taking Metformin 500 mg for the past 12 years, but his sugar levels continue to fluctuate. Now, he seems worried that he might lose his vision due to macular edema. Is this true? T...  Read Full »

Dr. Gopal R. Damani

Answer: Hello,Welcome to have read your query, and I can understand your concern.Faricimab-svoa is a prescription medicine administered by injection into the eye. It is the first and only FDA (Food and Drug Administration)-approved treatment designed to block two causes of diabetic macular ede...  Read Full »

What precautions are to be considered before taking Vabysmo?

Query: Hello doctor, My father has been dealing with diabetic macular edema, and Vabysmo has been suggested as a treatment option. Can you explain how Vabysmo differs from other medications for DME? What factors contribute to its suitability for individuals with this condition? Additionally, are there lif...  Read Full »

Dr. Gopal R. Damani

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Vabysmo (faricimab-svoa) is a prescription medicine given by injection into the eye and is the first and only FDA-approved treatment designed to block two causes of DME (diabetic macular edema) that are VEGF (vascular endothelial growth factor) and Ang-2§. Other drugs...  Read Full »

Kindly go through my mother's OCT report and help us.

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is 60 years old. She has diabetes and high blood pressure for the past 10 years. Recently, her vision in the right eye was deteriorated. Her doctor did retina OCT and fluorescein angiography. I consulted two other doctors. The first one said that she needs three doses of Luce...  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have reviewed the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your mother seems to have BRVO (branch retinal vein occlusion) with macular edema. The treatment is two-fold. The treatment of the eye and the control of systemic conditions like blood pres...  Read Full »

How long does it take for uveitis to damage the eyes permanently?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter has been diagnosed with posterior idiopathic uveitis, and she also has type one diabetes. The diagnosis was made about six weeks ago, and three weeks ago she was put on Prednisone, but I am not sure. Her eyesight was originally blurred around the periphery, which became cle...  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Permanent vision damage occurs due to many causes like cystoid macular edema, glaucoma, or neovascularization, leading to retinal detachment. It is tough to comment if any of these will happen to your kid or not.Moreover, it is tough to predict the occurrence of this c...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.