Q. How long can uveitis persist before there can be a permanent eye damage?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Published on Apr 03, 2017

My daughter has been diagnosed with posterior idiopathic uveitis, and she also has type 1 diabetes. The diagnosis was made about six weeks ago, and three weeks ago she was put on Prednisone, but I am not sure. Her eyesight was originally blurred around the periphery, which became clearer after she went on the treatment. But, it became distorted as if she was looking through a funhouse mirror, but is still improving. Since she has begun tapering the medicine, the doctor told her the condition is turning worse, although not as bad as it was. She is scheduled to go in a week from today to discuss other options, among them, injections directly into the eye. Through reading about uveitis on websites, this seems to be the correct flow of treatment regimen. My question is, how long can this condition persist before there can be a permanent eye damage? Is it possible to ascertain?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• Permanent vision damage occurs due to many causes like cystoid macular edema, glaucoma, or neovascularization, leading to retinal detachment. It is tough to comment if any of these will happen to your kid or not.
  • Moreover, it is tough to predict the occurrence of this condition.
  • As you mentioned that her vision is deteriorated, this could be due to macular edema and for that steroid may be required in injection form.
  • The treatment is in right direction, but it takes a long time for visual recovery. Sometimes, visual recovery is incomplete, and uveitis is associated with recurrence.

I hope this answers your query.

For further queries consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Why is my vision not clear even after cataract surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my first cataract surgery in the right eye four years back. Now again this year, I just had cataract surgery in the left eye. Just today, after three days of my second cataract surgery in the left eye, the vision in my right eye is not clear. When I am seeing contact names on my...  Read Full »

Diabetic Retinopathy, Its Effects and Preventive Aspects

Article Overview: Diabetes has become a lifestyle-related epidemic in our country. It being a vascular disease manifests in blood vessels throughout our body. The eye is the one and only place where we can see these changes happening to our blood vessels in vivid detail. Hence, diabetic retinopathy has been given a lot of importance and screening for it is seen in many diabetics. This article looks at what symptoms patients with diabetic retinopathy experience and when would be the best time to have a doctor examine the retina to screen for diabetic retinopathy. Read Article

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Diabetologist

Diabetes has become a lifestyle-related epidemic in our country. It being a vascular disease manifests in blood vessels throughout our body. The eye is the only place where we can see these changes happening to our blood vessels in vivid detail. Hence, diabetic retinopathy has been given a lot of im...  Read Article

How can my blurred vision be treated?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having blurry vision ever since my sore eyes have been going away. It started a week ago when I was diagnosed with sore eyes. My physician told me to use Terramycin four to five times a day and on the sixth day, the swelling in my eyes got better. But once my eye was in a ...  Read Full »