Q. Please advise the treatment for my mother's eye problem from the OCT report.

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

My mother is 60 years old. She has diabetes and high blood pressure for the past 10 years. Recently, her vision in the right eye was deteriorated. Her doctor did retina OCT and fluorescein angiography. I consulted two other doctors. The first one said that she needs three doses of Lucentis, one each month. The second doctor suggested one Accentrix dose and then laser treatment. I am not sure which one to follow. I am attaching the OCT report and the fluorescein angiography report.

#

I have reviewed the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Your mother seems to have BRVO (branch retinal vein occlusion) with macular edema.
  • The treatment is two-fold.
  1. The treatment of the eye.
  2. Control of systemic conditions like blood pressure and diabetes.
  • The treatment of the eye includes giving an anti-VEGF injection (antivascular endothelial growth factor). There are many options like Lucentis (Ranibizumab), Accentrix and Avastin (Bevacizumab). All are equally good.
  • My personal suggestion would be to go for Avastin. This is equally good and very cheap. She will need three injections, one each month. The laser can be decided later. There is nothing to worry.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|