Dialysis

Can you please explain my father's test results?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is 78 years old. He generally maintains good health except being diabetic for the last two years. However, since last once month his WBC, urea and creatinine values are abnormally high indicating kidney malfunctioning. He has lost 4 to 6 kg in the last three months and his appe...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query and attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows: Diabetes appears to be in good control. However, due to renal disease, blood pressure must be high. He is on multiple medications for blood pressure for no...  Read Full »

My FIL's right hand is partially amputated. What are the other options for AV fistula placement?

Query: Hello doctor, This query is for my father in law aged. He is 58 years old and is diabetic and currently under medication for BP also. He has a history of two major heart attacks. In the last five years, he did not have any major heart issues. Recently due to extensive amount of medications taken f...  Read Full »

Dr. Abhinav Gupta

Diabetologist, Nephrologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are three main types of AVF (arteriovenous fistula). The radiocephalic fistula is a forearm fistula created by anastomosing the side of a radial artery to the end of a cephalic vein. It is also referred to as the Brescia-Cimino fistula. The brachiocephalic fistul...  Read Full »

How to treat chronic kidney disease along with UTI?

Query: Hello doctor, I have chronic kidney disease and wanted to know about the treatment. Before they consulted doctors for nearly six months for prostate that is urine infection they were told it is urine infection and were under medication and taking painkillers. More but recently, they come across t...  Read Full »

Dr. Manzoor Ahmad Parry

Nephrologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Have you done any KFT (kidney function test) before? From the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and diagnosis, it seems you have underlying kidney disease which got aggravated by urinary tract infection. You have received appropriate antibioti...  Read Full »

My diabetic father is having diabetes. Should he get dialysis?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is 59 years old and suffering from diabetes for the last 15 years within control limit of sugar. Recently, he got attach with a brain hemorrhage on the right side, and he stopped to talk and his right side hand and leg become inactive. Slowly with medication and physiotherap...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine health concerns. No, this is not a permanent procedure for every patient. It depends on the status of kidney functions and roughly we can predict from creatinine levels (just to make it clear...  Read Full »

Inspite of undergoing dialysis for kidney failure, my creatinine and BUN levels are higher. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am on dialysis for kidney failure and I have noticed a fluctuation in my monthly blood work for the creatinine and BUN levels. At the beginning of the year, my creatinine was 11 and it has decreased every month to 7. I was also making more urine as I went along. All of a sudden, las...  Read Full »

Dr. Hariharan V

Diabetologist, Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Nutritionist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have worked as a chief in a hemodialysis center for 20 months. Once the kidneys have failed and the patient is hooked up on dialysis, the creatinine value is always high. At this time we do not care about the creatinine values because once we start dialysis on a p...  Read Full »

How can blood pressure be maintained during dialysis?

Query: Hello doctor, My father 70 years old, is just recovering from a septic shock and amputation. He has had is leg amputated below the knee. He had an infected wound on his foot and fell into a septic shock. 1. He has kidney failure and needs dialysis. His blood pressure dips too low during dialysis...  Read Full »

Dr. Pankaj Jawandhiya

Nephrologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are number of ways to try to avoid fall in blood pressure. 1. Do not take blood pressure medicines prior to dialysis. 2. Avoid eating during dialysis. 3. May be tell doctor to reduce his fluid removal on HD. 4. Reducing the dialysate temperature by 0.5 celc...  Read Full »

Why is there headache after dialysis?

Query: Hello doctor, My dad has been on dialysis for 2 years and has only recently been getting pounding headaches 1 hour into dialysis. He says they are pretty painful and it only occurs in his forehead and just to the right of the forehead. It does not make him sensitive to light, sound or any vision ch...  Read Full »

Dr. Lalit Bansal

Paediatrician, Neurologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Having headache one hour into dialysis suggest either it could be related to transient increase in blood pressure or changes in electrolytes during this interval. Is his BP monitored during dialysis and where do they stand. One way to get around is by slowing the dialysis...  Read Full »

What are the causes of blood in sputum?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is 55 years old. He is a patient having DM, CAD, CABG, HT, CKD and SHT. Now, he has severe cough for more than 15 days and can see blood occasionally while spitting. He is also undergoing dialysis twice in a week. His present hemoglobin is 8.1, creatinine is 4.6 and urea is ...  Read Full »

Dr. Rakesh Mittal

Child Health Specialist, Medical Oncologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to cliniq.com. Your father has severe renal failure. The blood in cough could be due to many reasons. I think you need to concentrate on his dialysis. If blood in sputum continues, then we need to find out reasons for this by x-ray or CT scan. I do think you should not be w...  Read Full »

Is EECP advisable for leak in valve with chest pain?

Query: Hello doctor, My sister suffers from kidney failure and has been undergoing dialysis since two years now. She was diagnosed with a leak in valve when she was admitted a month ago with severe chest pains. One doctor suggests EECP treatment for her. I would like a second opinion, as some doctors also...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I want to assure you that do not worry as everything is going to be fine soon. Thanks for uploading the detailed case history (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine concerns.  Read Full »

How to improve the kidney function of a liver cirrhosis patient?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is suffering from liver cirrhosis as reported by the doctors. His kidneys are also damaged and due to constipation brain is also getting affected. Urine is not passing. He is unconscious. We tried dialysis twice but there are no signs of improvement as per the doctors here. I j...  Read Full »

Dr. Zubin Dev Sharma

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As described in the case summary, the patient's condition is critical (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Decompensated cirrhosis is an irreversible disease, and it seems the patient has all the complications of the disease. The optimum medical manageme...  Read Full »