Dialysis

Is EECP advisable for leak in valve with chest pain?

Query: Hello doctor, My sister suffers from kidney failure and has been undergoing dialysis since two years now. She was diagnosed with a leak in valve when she was admitted a month ago with severe chest pains. One doctor suggests EECP treatment for her. I would like a second opinion, as some doctors also...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I want to assure you that do not worry as everything is going to be fine soon. Thanks for uploading the detailed case history (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine concerns.  Read Full »

How to improve the kidney function of a liver cirrhosis patient?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is suffering from liver cirrhosis as reported by the doctors. His kidneys are also damaged and due to constipation brain is also getting affected. Urine is not passing. He is unconscious. We tried dialysis twice but there are no signs of improvement as per the doctors here. I j...  Read Full »

Dr. Zubin Dev Sharma

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As described in the case summary, the patient's condition is critical (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Decompensated cirrhosis is an irreversible disease, and it seems the patient has all the complications of the disease. The optimum medical manageme...  Read Full »

My mom's health has deteriorated completely in a year. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 56 years old. She has been a diabetic for the last 20 years. Her health has deteriorated completely in the last year. We found out through a biopsy that her kidney has been damaged. Her gallbladder was removed as it was infected and had a stone as big as a marble. The mouth a...  Read Full »

Dr. Abhinav Gupta

Diabetologist, Nephrologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. She is having hypoalbuminemia (low level of albumin in the blood). Also, her serum potassium is high. We have to treat serum potassium first with diuretics and Insulin infusion. If the serum potassium does not come below 5.5, then she can go for dialysis. I would like to...  Read Full »

I have a scar in my kidney. Will my problem deteriorate if not monitored?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been diagnosed with a scar in my kidney. My creatinine level was reported 1.13 to 1.43 on routine examination. I underwent renal scan, ultrasound and other tests. My nephrologist says that the infection in kidney is the old one and only need monitoring. He prescribed me Reno car...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Yes, your doctor is right. It seems that you are having an old scar causing this rise in serum creatinine. In such case, I would also recommend the same ...  Read Full »

CKD patient with high phosphorus content. Is dialysis required now?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is suffering from CKD for the past one year. His creatinine level is 11.05, urea is 144 and uric acid is 5.10. He has no swelling or breathlessness, but his phosphorus content is high 5.80. We have not started the dialysis at the moment. Could you please guide the right wa...  Read Full »

Dr. Krishna Somani

Nephrologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After seeing all the details and your father's reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I would like to ask few questions. What is his age? How is his appetite? Does he feel nauseated or vomit? Is he losing weight and feels generally unwell? With these ...  Read Full »

In spite of testing positive for herpes, can I receive kidney transplant?

Query: Hello doctor,I have chronic kidney disease and am on dialysis and scheduled for transplant next month. Today I tested positive for genital herpes. Will this cause me to not be able to receive a transplant? I know you have to take immunosuppressants and I do not know how this will affect my situation...  Read Full »

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The immunosuppressive agents taken post-transplant will increase the risk of having an outbreak of genital herpes. So you have to report to your doctor to put you in a prophylactic antiviral therapy. For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --...  Read Full »

My mother is suffering from chronic kidney disease. Can she avoid dialysis?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is suffering from chronic kidney disease, and her creatinine level is 9.8 mg/dL. She has a history of diabetes for the past 25 years. She is taking Insulin from the beginning. She has hypertension for the past 35 years. Her hemoglobin is about 11.0 gm/dL. Her eyesight has been ...  Read Full »

Dr. Y Siva Roja

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your query. There are specific indications for dialysis in patients with chronic kidney disease. They include low creatinine clearance, high potassium, patient becoming acidotic, symptoms of uremia (increased urea in the blood), loss of appetite, urem...  Read Full »

After CABG, urine discharge is low and creatinine level is high. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,My father has undergone CABG (bypass surgery of heart) since then he is on the medicine. During this operation, we came to know that he is also hepatitis B antigen positive. Ayurvedic treatment is continuing and things are under control. In last week accidentally he has broken bone of h...  Read Full »

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.From what you mentioned, your father has sustained acute kidney failure, the cause is not clear (may be due to bleeding and losing a large amount of blood). Dialysis is required if there is volume overload (lower limb edema and chest congestion), also if there is high potas...  Read Full »

How much BP is good enough to start dialysis?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is a heart patient with amyloidosis and edema. He is in coma after cardiac arrest for seven days now. He was diagnosed with hypertension 26 years ago. His current medications are Lasix, Midodrine, Amiodarone and Eliquis. Patient also has AFib. Patient has BP readings of 121/71 m...  Read Full »

Dr. Abhishek Dixit

Nephrologist, Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Blood pressure of 120/70 mmHg is good enough for dialysis to start. You can go with SLED (sustained low-efficiency dialysis) in which the chances of blood pressure dropping is very low. Premedications which would help to prevent will be inotropes. If you cou...  Read Full »

My dad has been advised temporary dialysis. Does he really require it?

Query: Hi doctor,My 66 year old father suddenly got a high fever and in few days we discovered he has a urinary tract infection. He is a diabetic and on insulin. He is a very disciplined person when it comes to his health. He checked his creatinine levels early this year and it was in the normal range. Af...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Varma

Nephrologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry to hear about your father. He is presently having a severe infection (sepsis) due to the urinary tract infection. There is an acid accumulation in the blood due to the infection. There is worsening of renal function as a result of stress to the body due to...  Read Full »