Q. What should I eat to prevent diarrhea with IBS?

Dr. Sumiya Sulthana

I am having hypo-beta-lipoproteinemia since birth. I am taking high doses of Vitamin E and A since then. Now I am 42 years old and diagnosed with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). What should I eat to avoid diarrhea? I have diarrhea for almost two years. Please help.

#

I still need many details for proper medical intervention so that I can provide a customized diet plan. We need to discuss a food map list to understand the foods that upset your stomach (I meant food immediately causes diarrhea).

Until then, follow these tips:

1. Include curd and flax seed powder in your diet before going to bed.

2. Take bananas, bread, etc.

3. Avoid seasonings and spices in the diet.

4. Increase your fluid intake.

5. Take 8-9 hours of sleep.

6. Manage stress with meditation, and it is essential with IBS.

7. Do breathing exercises.

8. Manage to follow small frequent meals.

9. If required, take Glutamine 5 mg supplement.

What should I eat? For all my life, I have a low/no-fat diet because of hypo-beta lipoproteinemia. I eat no-fat meats, no butter, no milk cream, no fried foods, etc. I drink light milk. What diet should I follow? A doctor asked me to drink lactose-free milk. This IBS is very frustrating to me. I have stopped using spices. Kindly suggest.

#

First, you need to understand your body type or make a note of really troubling foods. Eliminate it from your diet and try the same again after two months. If you get the same symptoms, you need to eliminate that particular food from your list. You can take milk with 1:1ratio with water. Yogurt is best, and you can also take paneer. Regarding butter, in your whole day meal, you take one tablespoon of butter. It should not irritate your gut.

Rather than going with restriction, let us go with small frequent meals with the elimination of excess fat and spice gradually, managing stress and a healthy sleep cycle to heal your gut so that gradually you can control IBS.

| 

Can instability of the mood have an influence on my intestine?

Query: I'm a 19 years old girl ,university student .. I have ibs for past 3 years and I always have a severe attack twice a month or sometimes more .. Two years ago I started a treatment with libricol and some other drugs with Benzodiazepine because I suffered from insomnia and until now( I stopped all dr...  Read Full »

What is the diet plan for a 55-year-old diabetic male patient?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is 55 years old and weigh 70 kg. He is suffering from sugar disease. Please inform the precautions to be taken to maintain the correct sugar levels and please inform the complete diet chart including fruits which are to be avoided or preferred. His normal food is tiffin in t...  Read Full »

I have IBS and seems to be related to SIBO. Please advise management.

Query: Hi doctor, I realize I have IBS symptoms and they seem to be related to SIBO. I need your advice on how to treat it effectively. Here are some symptoms and test results. Leaky gut or intestinal permeability with multiple food intolerances. Seems to have hydrogen sulfide based SIBO, severe farting...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Nutritionist Now