Q. I have IBS and insomnia, but I do not prefer medications. Please help

Dr. Zubayeralam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Lochana
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 28, 2020 and last reviewed on: Nov 04, 2020

I'm a 19 years old girl ,university student .. I have ibs for past 3 years and I always have a severe attack twice a month or sometimes more .. Two years ago I started a treatment with libricol and some other drugs with Benzodiazepine because I suffered from insomnia and until now( I stopped all drugs a year ago) when I go to sleep I feel like my heartbeat is very low and it's like it's gonna stop , I know it's all psychological but I can't stop this feeling .. Now my problem is that I've become a really moody person : I smile , laugh , cry , get angry and regret in 5mn I swear sometimes less than 5 mn .. And that's cause me huge problems with my family ( not with my friends because I used to mask on them ) although they know everything .. Most of times they excuse me but now they don't want talk to me again because I tell them really bad things like curses.. And really when I'm okay I've never tell all these bad words .. It's not me .. When I get mad I want to throw things but I hardly calm down myself .. And I regret all what I say just after 5sec and I beg them for forgiveness.. Now , I want to have a solution to this big problem , I'm thinking of visiting a therapist but I don't want to be dependent on drugs because it harms more than heals.. Please help me

#

hi, thnx for the query.i can understand ur concern. according to your statement you have been suffering from IBS with psychological problems. female patient with IBS r more prone to suffer from psychiatric disorders. IBS r associated with some psychological diseases. Antidepressants like Amitriptyline is a good choice for such type of patients with their traditional IBS related medications. Cognitive behavioral therapy, breathing exercises, yoga, meditation etc may help a patient to get rid of such type psychological problems. u should consult with a professional psychiatrist for proper treatment and psychotherapy. take care.hope I have answered your questions.in case of any other query ask me.

|