Q. How can IBS related to SIBO be managed?

Answered by Dr. Sultan Zeb Khan and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Ibs or Sibo? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I realize I have IBS symptoms and they seem to be related to SIBO. I need your advice on how to treat it effectively. Here are some symptoms and test results.

Leaky gut or intestinal permeability with multiple food intolerances. Seems to have hydrogen sulfide based SIBO, severe farting with a foul smell of eating foods like cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, high protein foods. I may have an overgrowth of sulfate-reducing bacteria. Rifaximin seems to help with SIBO but it is temporary. I have to eat rice as I cannot eat gluten or wheat. Some experts on SIBO say that MMC or vagal nerve dysfunction is the root cause of SIBO. I have heard a lot of patients get better when they increase gut motility. So I wanted to ask if taking prokinetic or cholinergic support will help SIBO from reccuring.