Q. Is there any rule that fruits cannot be eaten on an empty stomach?

Dr. Revathi Sundaramurthy
Published on Jan 19, 2017

I want to improve my eating habit. Please suggest based on the following information. We follow staple food in the family. Rice for lunch and dinner and roti, oats, etc., for breakfast. Predominant side dish for lunch or dinner is fish, vegetables and dal. Occasionally, chicken, mutton and egg. At present, I do not have any restriction on food. I am on regular blood pressure medicine Stamlo 2.5. I leave home by 7 AM on weekdays and reach workplace at around 9 AM and will stay in office until 4.30 PM. In work place, I have limited options for breakfast and lunch. I cannot eat a complete breakfast before leaving home. I do not intend to carry my lunch from home. Given the constraints, please suggest a healthy diet for me.

Dr. Revathi Sundaramurthy

Ayurveda Specialist Dietician Nutritionist Yoga
#

• Your BMI (body mass index) is around 22, which is normal. I would suggest you reduce regular intake of fish and pickles (if you are taking). Rest of your diet looks good.
  • You can eat all vegetables and a cup of rice for noon and roti at night. Try to eat a fruit during lunch or evening time.
  • If you are taking curd replace it with well-churned buttermilk. You can take one or two cups of coffee or tea daily.
  • Try to do the exercise like walking for 30 minutes for 5 days a week. Meditation and pranayama will help to control your blood pressure.

For further information consult a dietician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dietician

I am having the following queries On weekdays it is hard for me to eat a proper breakfast. Most of the time in canteen only roti is available, which I do not want to consume on a regular basis. What sort of breakfast can I think of such as a healthy biscuit? I avoid foods like pizzas, but I like snacks like a samosa. How harmful are they? Please suggest some ready-made snack. I have a habit of drinking tea. Can I drink a few cups of tea more if I drink it black and without sugar? Is there any rule that fruits cannot be eaten on an empty stomach? As you know, I am a teacher. Mostly a sitting job. How much water should I drink at least? Also, my family has a habit of having rice for lunch and dinner. But, we take it in tiny quantity, particularly at dinner. Is that fine? Please mention the foods, which I should always avoid.

Dr. Revathi Sundaramurthy

#

• You can opt for boiled eggs, oats, cereals and rotis. Eating snacks once in a while is not harmful. You can go for snacks like peanut, wheat rusks or biscuits.
  • Yes, you can have black tea without sugar.
  • You can eat fruits on an empty stomach. If you eat with lunch, you will try reducing the intake of rice.
  • You can drink water depending upon on your thirst. Approximately, 6 to 8 glasses per day. Rice is not harmful if taken in small quantities.
  • I have already mentioned you to avoid heavily salted foods like pickles, dry fish and deep fried maida foods.

For further doubts consult a dietician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dietician

Why am I experiencing rapid weight loss?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a concern regarding my weight. I have lost about 2 to 2.5 kg in a month's time. I have not exercised recently. I weighed 74.4 kg last month, and now I weigh 72.8 kg. Moreover, my waist circumference has also decreased. I am worried about this sudden weight loss. Could this indic...  Read Full »

I lack confidence in myself and cannot talk to new people. Please help me.

Query: Hello doctor, I lack confidence when I am alone. I am always confident when it comes to the public. I really get busted and also I do not know why. I cannot talk to new people or crossgender with an initiative. I even do not know why I always feel lonely like I know I do not have people to talk eve...  Read Full »

High Blood Pressure: Things You Need To Know!!

Article Overview: High blood pressure is a very common condition with serious consequences if left untreated. This article is aimed at providing basic knowledge about the causes, treatment, complications and prognosis of hypertension. Read Article

High Blood Pressure or Hypertension is a very common and serious condition which if untreated may lead to permanent and often fatal damage to various organs of the body including the heart, kidneys, brain and eyes. Hypertension means the pressure of the blood inside the blood vessels is higher than ...  Read Article

Ask a Dietician Now