Q. Why am I experiencing rapid weight loss?

Published on Jul 07, 2018

I have a concern regarding my weight. I have lost about 2 to 2.5 kg in a month's time. I have not exercised recently. I weighed 74.4 kg last month, and now I weigh 72.8 kg. Moreover, my waist circumference has also decreased. I am worried about this sudden weight loss. Could this indicate some underlying issue?

#

• Your BMI (body mass index) is 25.36 which is close to the normal range. However, I do understand your concern. Can you provide more details about your lifestyle as well as medical and personal history?
  • Do you smoke cigarettes? Do you have a family history of diabetes or any cancer?
  • Do you have cough, fever, chest congestion or swollen lymph nodes?
  • Have you been tested for thyroid disorders?
  • Did you have a recent episode of diarrhea? Did you experience brittle nails or hair loss?

Revert with more information to an internal medicine physician online.-->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thank you for replying. I do not smoke cigarettes or use any other tobacco products. I did not have diarrhea recently. I do not have hair loss, but body hair does fall often. There is no family history of heart diseases or cancer. I did not experience any chest congestion or swollen lymph nodes previously. I did not test for thyroid disorders in the past.

#

I have the following recommendations for you:

1. Get tested for hyperthyroidism with TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone), free T4 and T3 tests.
  2. Rule out diabetes with HbA1c test.
  3. Rule out leukemia with CBC (complete blood count).
  4. Ensure proper functioning of liver and kidneys with CMP (comprehensive metabolic panel), UEC (urea electrolytes and creatinine) and LFT (liver function test).

Please let me know if you have got any of these investigations done and get back to us in the case of further concerns.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thanks for replying. I will get my routine check up done soon. Is my weight loss abnormal?

#

• Your weight loss is not abnormal. It is in a span of a month's time that you have lost the weight. It is of concern if it continues for prolonged periods, but nothing to worry for now. So I suggest you watch your weight over the next couple of months and then we could investigate further if required.
  • Weight loss is not just due to loss of fat, it could be a decrease in muscle mass as well. For example, if you lifted weights, ran or did other aerobic activities in the past and stopped now, you would still lose weight now because of a decrease in the muscle mass.
  • Do not stress about your weight loss. Explain this concern to your physician when you go for your routine check-up and also express my recommendations to him or her in your own words. Take care.

Can cocaine cause elevation in LFTs?

Query: Hi doctor, My recent ALT is 90 and AST is 86. I used cocaine two days before the blood test. Can it cause an elevation in LFTs? If so, how long of an abstinence period would be needed to get LFTs back down to normal levels?  Read Full »

Is there any rule that fruits cannot be eaten on an empty stomach?

Query: Hi doctor, I want to improve my eating habit. Please suggest based on the following information. We follow staple food in the family. Rice for lunch and dinner and roti, oats, etc., for breakfast. Predominant side dish for lunch or dinner is fish, vegetables and dal. Occasionally, chicken, mutton ...  Read Full »

I am concerned about my LFT values. How to correct them?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old and had a full body checkup. My liver function test showed the following values. Alanine transaminase (ALT) 104 U/L (method - UV with pyridoxal-5-phosphate), aspartate aminotransferase (AST) 60 U/L and Gamma-glutamyl transferase (GGT) 63 U/L. I am concerned about the LF...  Read Full »