Q. Kindly suggest a diet chart for my 6 months old daughter.

Dr. Manidipa Dey
This is a premium question & answer published on May 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 04, 2020

My daughter is 6 months plus now. She has started with solid foods but because of being new mother I am mainly rely on books for her nutrition or diet. However I am looking for expert advice so that I can give her the best chart. Below I have explained her current routine. I am a working mother and currently on maternity leave. So, in the morning after waking up I feed her breastmilk. Thereafter during 9-10 AM she takes mosambi or pomegranate juice. In the afternoon between 12 to 2 PM she takes water of moong dal or water or rice plus moong dal. Between 4 to 6 PM she takes extracted water of boiled apple. In case she is awake I feed her breastmilk in the evening. If she is more hungry I give her moong dal water. Please suggest a good diet chart for her. When should I take her next updated diet chart? Her pediatrician advised not to give any external milk or formula. Can I give her cerelac instead once I start going office? Apart from all these I give her boiled water to drink sometimes and one day I gave her coconut water. She liked coconut water a lot and drank a lot but normal boiled water she takes very little. Kindly provide a good diet chart for my daughter. Also her baby sitter is asking me if she can give my daughter biscuits dipped in water or milk. How much nutritious it would be to give my daughter biscuits and from which age it can be given? My baby weight is 7 kg and height is 69 cm. Thank you very much in advance.

#

• The diet that you are following for your daughter is quite correct. Few things you have to keep in your mind while feeding your daughter.
  • Dilute the fruit juices with an equal amount of boiled water at the early stage. Gradually increase the amount of fruit juice and at the same time the dilution of with water should cut down.
  • You can give fresh juices of oranges, tomatoes, sweet lime, grapes, etc. You can also give vegetables clear soup to her.
  • Mashed food should start around 7 to 8 months of life. At that time you can give mashed banana.
  • Other fruits must be stewed and sieved properly especially for one year old baby. For example, stewed apple can be given at 8 months of age.
  • Cooked and mashed vegetables like potato, carrots and pumpkin you can introduce to her diet after 8 months of age.
  • Well cooked pulses along with cereals in the form of porridge can be given to her after 10 to 12 months of age.
  • Breast feed your baby at least three times a day.
  • A baby's appetite varies a lot from meal to meal and day to day. During hot weather or when the child is teething or suffering from cold the child's appetite may be less.
  • Give freshly prepared food. When the baby is able to chew you can give her the biscuits dipped in milk or boiled water. Any biscuit can be given.
  • You can start with cerelac slowly after 7 months of age.

For further information consult a dietician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dietician

|