Q. My 3. 5 months old baby vomits after we feed him formula milk. Why?

Dr. Deepak Patel
Published on May 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hope you are doing well. I want to ask a question about my 3.5 months old baby. I feed him both breast milk and formula milk. But whenever I feed him formula milk, after 20 to 30 minutes, he starts to cry a lot, becomes fussy, and vomits that milk.  After vomiting, he feels relaxed. I have tried giving him Similac and Nan Pro 1. Please help. Thank you in advance.

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Paediatrics
#

I can understand your concerns.

• Breast milk is easier to digest, and as a result, there is no problem of abdomen pain or vomiting. The reasons of vomiting after formula milk could be the following:
  1. You are giving more than the appetite of the child. Since you are also giving breast milk, the amount of formula milk should be less. Give a small amount of formula milk than what you are giving now. The weight at 3.5 months is around 4.5 kg, if your child's weight is good, you can decrease the amount of formula milk.
  2. Similac will be better than Nan Pro 1 in this situation. Similac will be easier to digest.
  3. Do burp for at least 10 minutes after every feed.
  4. Give Yamoo drops, it contains lactase enzymes, which helps in digestion of formula milk. Mix 4 to 5 drops of Yamoo drops in 50 ml of milk and mix well for 10 minutes. This will decrease abdominal pain and vomiting.
  • The main reason that I feel is that you are giving more amount of formula milk than what the child actually requires. Decrease the amount of formula milk.

I hope this will help you. Take care.

For more information consult a child health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

Thank you for replying. He is also constipated, that is why I started giving him Nan Pro 1. Someone suggested that to me.

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Paediatrics
#

• Nan Pro 1 has lactogen, and some children develop lactose intolerance, leading to vomiting and abdominal pain. In this condition, lactose-free milk is given like Similac or Zerolac.
  • I suggest giving Similac.

Take care.

For further queries consult a child health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

What is the proper diet chart for a 6-month-old baby?

Query: Hello doctor, My infant is turning 6 months this month and we are moving to a different place. I am looking for a complete diet chart for an infant. Can you please help me get a diet chart and how to make the baby food for my baby, please? Also, can we preserve food in the freezer? My son's current...  Read Full »

Please suggest a lactose-free diet for weight gain.

Query: Hi doctor, I am 29 years old male, who is 5.9 feet tall and weighs 55 kg. I take vegetables, egg, fish but not meat. I am lactose intolerant for the past three years. If I take any milk products, it causes gastritis instantly, and I have to take an antacid. I cannot take whey protein because of thi...  Read Full »

Benefits of Breastfeeding and a Few Tips to New Mothers

Article Overview: There are so many misconceptions about breastfeeding, so here are some tips for the new mothers.  Read Article

Dr. Krutika Ingle Karandikar
Lactation Counselor

Breastfeeding is the most beautiful thing for the mother and the baby in humans, just as for all mammals. There are so many misconceptions about breastfeeding and always a new mother will be in a confused state regarding breastfeeding. Here are some tips for the new mothers. When Should One St...  Read Article

Ask a Child Health Specialist Now