Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation

What is the normal platelet count and what is thrombocytopenia?

Query: Hi doctor, My platelet count is low for the past month, between 115000 to 130000 platelets per mcL, which I found during my regular body check-up. I do have any previous issues related to this. Please guide me.  Read Full »

Dr. Mubashir Razzaq Khan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your counts are clinically insignificant. Low platelet count is also called thrombocytopenia. In grade 1 thrombocytopenia, platelet count ranges between 75000 to 150000 platelets per mcL. No action is needed. Just follow-up is enough. In grade 2 thrombocytopenia, plat...  Read Full »

What causes IUFD?

Query: Hi doctor, This is about my wife, who had unfortunate IUFD, cardiomyopathy and DIC. She had an absolute normal pregnancy till 9th month. She had no BP, diabetes or other issues throughout and even today. Only issue, she has is migraine and for which she takes Diclogesic. So, it happened on a day of...  Read Full »

Dr. Anindya Das

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all I feel really sorry knowing what happened to you. It was fine that anti-D was not given after your first child as his blood group is negative. This time around anti-D should have been given. But, that does not explain DIC (disseminated intravascular coagulati...  Read Full »

What causes schistocytes?

Query: Hi doctor, My friend recently got a blood test done and they told her that she had a large number of schistocytes. However, she was not found to be anemic and has no other history of serious health issues. She is 30 and thin built. She has been anemic on blood tests occasionally in the past. I do...  Read Full »

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and can understand your concern. Schistocytes are nothing but fragmented or broken red blood cells, which are formed due to trauma to the cells. There are many causes of schistocytes in blood, One of the causes is microangiopathic hemol...  Read Full »