Q. Is it normal for the gallbladder to be distended?

Dr. Rahul Suresh Kulkarni
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 02, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 20, 2019

I have been experiencing pain in the right upper quadrant. My blood reports and gallbladder scans are all clear, and there are no stones. The first scan showed slightly distended gallbladder. What could be the cause of the pain? And is it normal for the gallbladder to be distended?

#

• Depending upon your description of the problem, there could be some localized inflammation of the gallbladder causing its distension.
  • It could also be normally distended after you have a heavy, fatty meal, as it is generating bile which will help in the digestion.
  • It could also be due to some blockage in the bile duct or cystic duct due to some stone or inflammation.
  • If the tests are normal, then you do not need to worry too much about it. It could be due to some superficial muscular spasm or local inflammation of the peritoneum (covering over the abdominal organs).
  • If the pain worsens, repeat investigations.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|