Q. I got dog bite which is swollen with redness and warmth. What should I do?

Dr. Mohammed Wajid

I got bit by a dog right by my wrist on Friday afternoon and until today it has been swollen, red, and a bit warm to the touch. Today, it is still tender to touch but not nearly as warm or swollen but is quite stiff. I work a job where I am fairly active (walking, pulling, light lifting) and was wondering if I would do damage by work tomorrow?

#

You have been bitten by a dog, it is important to tend to the injury right away to reduce your risk of bacterial infection. You also should assess the wound to determine the severity.

In some instances, you will be able to administer first aid to yourself. In other cases, you will need immediate medical treatment. If your skin was not broken, wash the area with warm water and soap. You can also apply an antibacterial lotion to the area as a precaution.

If your skin was broken, wash the area with warm soap and water and gently press on the wound to promote a small amount of bleeding. This will help flush out germs.

If the bite is already bleeding, apply a clean cloth to the wound, and gently press down to stop the flow. Follow up with an application of antibacterial lotion and cover with a sterile bandage. Take rabies tetanus injection to further avoid any bacterial infection.

|