Q. Is rabies a contagious disease?

Dr. Kakkar
Published on Jan 07, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I was bitten by a dog 13 days ago. I took anti-rabies vaccine after 25 hours of the bite. I have taken three vaccines until now. I had oral sex with my wife and by mistake, I bit her at neck two days ago. Should she also receive the anti-rabies vaccine? The dog is still alive.

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

Contact with someone who is receiving rabies vaccination does not constitute rabies exposure and does not require post-exposure prophylaxis.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Generally, can a person in incubation period transmit rabies to the other person through biting?

Dr. Kakkar

#

Theoretically yes. However, in most humans, it has occurred with organ transplants.

If the virus has not reached the salivary gland of the person at the time of biting, can rabies be transmitted? And is it like with dog bite, the dog becomes dead after biting? Can human also die within 10 days of the bite?

Dr. Kakkar

#

Rabies can happen only if the virus is present in saliva or salivary glands and not otherwise.

Usually, the salivary presence of virus and brain infection occur simultaneously.

So when an animal or human starts showing signs of brain infection, the virus is usually present in saliva and the animal or human dies soon within a week or 10 days

Please note that dog bites usually happen after brain infection in the animal when it becomes aggressive.

Vaccinated dog bite my daughter. Is anti-rabies vaccine needed?

Query: Dear Doctor, My daughter is 5 years old. A vaccinated dog scratched her right hand with its teeth. There is no skin damage but deep red mark is visible. Is anti-rabies vaccine optional or compulsory for her?  Read Full »