Q. I took antirabies vaccine only 13 days after a shrew mouse bite. Am I at risk?

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal
Published on Aug 21, 2018

I had taken two antirabies shots ten and three months back for a dog bite. A shrew that had entered the house bit me on my back two weeks back. There was no bleeding even on applying pressure on the area, but the next day I noticed a small clot on my back like the one we have after a scratch.

In my stupidity, I only took a tetanus shot and took an antirabies vaccine only 13 days after the bite. So, I am very scared now that am I at risk. What should I do? I am very worried.

Please advise if I need to take immunoglobulins or complete the five-vaccine schedule. I am very tensed because of my foolishness. Please help.

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

Rabies vaccination should ideally be started on day 0. But, you have not developed any symptoms. So, it is not late to start vaccination now. You should complete the five-injection rabies schedule.

Since it was a category-2 exposure, the immunoglobulin is not required.

Good luck.

For further queries consult a family physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

Thanks for the prompt reply. I will continue with the Vaxirab-N vaccine till the five shots are completed as per schedule. The Rabipur vaccine shots I had taken, will they keep me safe for the time being till these vaccines are administered?

Also, how long does the antibody titer usually remain sufficient to protect in normal males?

Next time, I promise though to start the vaccine on that day or next day of getting bitten. I just hope I am fine this time.

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

#

Yes, the two shots will have a preventive effect for this exposure. After completing the vaccination schedule, immunity is present for approximately 10 years in humans.

If you have any further queries, feel free to contact.

For more information consult a family physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

Being vaccinated, is it fine to get 2 doses of rabies vaccine now for dog bite?

Query: Hi doctor, I had 5 doses of rabies vaccine along with rabies immunoglobulin before two years. A month later again, I was bitten by a dog and took three doses of rabies vaccine. Then after a year when I was bitten by a dog, I had two doses of vaccine. Now, again, I was bitten by a stray dog and took ...  Read Full »

Can rabies virus survive outside host if exposed to sunlight?

Query: Hello doctor, Can rabies virus survive outside host on grass or leaves if it is exposed to sunlight?  Read Full »

Is rabies a contagious disease?

Query: Hello doctor, I was bitten by a dog 13 days ago. I took anti-rabies vaccine after 25 hours of the bite. I have taken three vaccines until now. I had oral sex with my wife and by mistake, I bit her at neck two days ago. Should she also receive the anti-rabies vaccine? The dog is still alive.  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now