Q. Can mosquito bite cause leg swelling?

This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 21, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 35 year old female. For four years, my right leg has swollen once in a year in the summer or when I go for agricultural works in mud fields. Initially it starts with fever, vomiting, body pain, chillness and then my leg will change to light red color and the swelling will start.

Now, I am undergoing treatment. I am attaching the medical reports and the photo of my leg. My doctor told me that the swelling is due to mosquito bite. Please tell me the possible reasons for the swelling and the medical tests if any required. Please suggest the specialty doctor whom I should consult.

#

It looks like you had cellulitis. You might have scratched your leg and later on it has developed an infection. I think you are accumulating gas in your foot and in your leg. I think you should be seen by an orthopedic surgeon sooner rather than later. You need a complete examination of that foot with x-ray, CT scan and blood cultures.

I am also afraid, if you are bone has been involved with the infection known as osteomyelitis. I do not think it is because of a mosquito bite.Please let me know if you need any further assistance. I will need to know the results of the x-ray and the blood cultures to suggest any antibiotics.

1. Gas gangrene.
2. Osteomyelitis.

CBC (complete blood count), kidney and liver function test, electrolytes, CRP (C-reactive protein), x-ray of the foot and lower leg. Consider CT scan of the leg as well.

Revert back with the reports to an internal medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|