Q. Vaccinated dog bite my daughter. Is anti-rabies vaccine needed?

Dr. E Venkata Ramana
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 21, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2022

Dear Doctor,

My daughter is 5 years old. A vaccinated dog scratched her right hand with its teeth. There is no skin damage but deep red mark is visible.

Is anti-rabies vaccine optional or compulsory for her?

#

Thank you for your query on icliniq.com.

Let me explain the seriousness of the deep red marks simply :

Visible deep red marks could mean a very small wound but it is still a large door for rabies virus to enter.

If rabies has once developed, then it has no treatment. Prevention by anti-rabies vaccination is the only available treatment in a case of dog bite.

Anti-rabies vaccine, available now are very safe.

I advise you to give her the complete schedule of anti rabies vaccination after consulting a doctor immediately.

Hope I have answered your query. For further clarifications regarding the vaccination schedule, consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|