Q. Vaccinated dog bite my daughter. Is anti-rabies vaccine needed?

Dr. E Venkata Ramana
Published on Aug 21, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Dear Doctor,

My daughter is 5 years old. A vaccinated dog scratched her right hand with its teeth. There is no skin damage but deep red mark is visible.

Is anti-rabies vaccine optional or compulsory for her?

#

Thank you for your query on icliniq.com.

Let me explain the seriousness of the deep red marks simply :

Visible deep red marks could mean a very small wound but it is still a large door for rabies virus to enter.

If rabies has once developed, then it has no treatment. Prevention by anti-rabies vaccination is the only available treatment in a case of dog bite.

Anti-rabies vaccine, available now are very safe.

I advise you to give her the complete schedule of anti rabies vaccination after consulting a doctor immediately.

Hope I have answered your query. For further clarifications regarding the vaccination schedule, consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

Is rabies a contagious disease?

Query: Hello doctor, I was bitten by a dog 13 days ago. I took anti-rabies vaccine after 25 hours of the bite. I have taken three vaccines until now. I had oral sex with my wife and by mistake, I bit her at neck two days ago. Should she also receive the anti-rabies vaccine? The dog is still alive.  Read Full >>

Dr. Kakkar
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Contact with someone who is receiving rabies vaccination does not constitute rabies exposure and does not require post-exposure prophylaxis. For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist  Read Full

Is there any diet restriction following dog bite?

Query: Hi doctor, I was bitten by a house Siberian Husky. The pup is 8 months old and is not vaccinated for rabies. I used to visit it everyday. It is normal and drink water. I was given only tetanus as I am allergic to the antirabies vaccine which was administered and discovered 10 years ago when I had a ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are no dietary restrictions following a dog bite and you can eat whatever you like to have. Also, let me share a few facts after dog bite:- A 10 days quarantine for the dog that has bitten is generally followed. If the dog during this period if devel...  Read Full

Do I need to have a rabies vaccine towards an unsure scratch ?

Query: Hello doctor,Two days before a small puppy came and I am not sure whether he scratched me or not. There is no big mark on feet. But I have a very small cut in my hand. I have cleared my jeans with that hand. So I am doubtful my cut has come in contact with that place where puppy licks. Sir do I need...  Read Full >>

Dr. Nidhin Mohan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Just take the first dose and second dose after three days. There is no need for five doses. The last dose was taken just a few months back. Anti-rabies antibodies will still persist in the body and provide immunity. But still, reexposure within one year requires two dos...  Read Full