Q. Vaccinated dog bite my daughter. Is anti-rabies vaccine needed?

Dr. E Venkata Ramana
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 21, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Dear Doctor,

My daughter is 5 years old. A vaccinated dog scratched her right hand with its teeth. There is no skin damage but deep red mark is visible.

Is anti-rabies vaccine optional or compulsory for her?

#

Thank you for your query on icliniq.com.

Let me explain the seriousness of the deep red marks simply :

Visible deep red marks could mean a very small wound but it is still a large door for rabies virus to enter.

If rabies has once developed, then it has no treatment. Prevention by anti-rabies vaccination is the only available treatment in a case of dog bite.

Anti-rabies vaccine, available now are very safe.

I advise you to give her the complete schedule of anti rabies vaccination after consulting a doctor immediately.

Hope I have answered your query. For further clarifications regarding the vaccination schedule, consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

| 

Is rabies a contagious disease?

Query: Hello doctor, I was bitten by a dog 13 days ago. I took anti-rabies vaccine after 25 hours of the bite. I have taken three vaccines until now. I had oral sex with my wife and by mistake, I bit her at neck two days ago. Should she also receive the anti-rabies vaccine? The dog is still alive.  Read Full »

Is there any diet restriction following dog bite?

Query: Hi doctor, I was bitten by a house Siberian Husky. The pup is 8 months old and is not vaccinated for rabies. I used to visit it everyday. It is normal and drink water. I was given only tetanus as I am allergic to the antirabies vaccine which was administered and discovered 10 years ago when I had a ...  Read Full »

Do I need to have a rabies vaccine towards an unsure scratch ?

Query: Hello doctor,Two days before a small puppy came and I am not sure whether he scratched me or not. There is no big mark on feet. But I have a very small cut in my hand. I have cleared my jeans with that hand. So I am doubtful my cut has come in contact with that place where puppy licks. Sir do I need...  Read Full »