Q. I often wake up at 3 AM dreaming about a woman I do not know. Why?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 20, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 25, 2021

I do not know whether this query is relevant here, but I am vexed seeing a woman in my dreams for many years. I do not know what she looks like. I never saw her facial features but noticed that she is of an average physique. She does not leave me, and sometimes I am even scared of her. A peculiar thing about having such a dream is that, whenever I wake up terrified, I open my eyes, and look at the clock, it is 3 AM without fail. Also, I get this dream when I feel the most peaceful, calm, and relaxed.

#

I can understand your concern.

• Even though you see that particular dream when you feel calm, relaxed and peaceful, in reality, you are probably having some subconscious anxiety which is resulting in dreams of a particular type which are scary.
  • Dreams and anxiety are interrelated, and this is the reason why your dreams are causing you distress. If these are recurring and are resulting in distress, then I suggest you visit a psychiatrist for counseling. Medicines like Tricyclic antidepressants can be used in your case, which will reduce the rapid eye movement sleep, and thus weird dreams will decrease.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|