Q. I get scared while sleeping and bite my tongue. What is the reason?

Dr. Gayatri Saraf
Published on Jul 18, 2018

I have depression and anxiety and anger Issues. So, I used to get sleep paralysis a year ago but then it stopped happening itself. I never had panic attacks even with this severe depression. But a week ago I had my first panic attack and then I started having pain in my collar bone, left arm and head. So, like I would get triggered when I see someone crying or someone's death. Also, I cannot sleep at night I fear so many things that will happen to me if I close my eyes and two days ago I tried sleeping at night and I had SP. Then I did not sleep the next night and yesterday I tried sleeping again but I was getting scared every time I fell asleep. I would wake up by a shake and also I bit my tongue from places while I was asleep and it hurts now. Please, tell me what is it? What should I do?

Dr. Gayatri Saraf

Psychiatry
#

You seem to have anxiety attacks along with a sleep disorder. The anxiety can be treated with medications from a psychiatrist. For the sleep issues, there are tests such as sleep studies available which can help diagnose what exactly it is. Usually tongue bite in sleep is unusual and seizures should be ruled out. So you can get a sleep study and EEG done and consult with a neurologist for sleep problems and with a psychiatrist for anxiety.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Are Absence Seizures Absolutely Risky?

Article Overview: Previously known as petit mal seizures, this type of seizure is more commonly seen in children. Let us read on to know how it can be managed effectively in everyday life. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S

A seizure is caused by a brief period of abnormal electrical activity (electrical impulses) in a person's brain. An absence seizure has a generalized onset, meaning, it starts on both sides of the brain simultaneously. In this type, there is a sudden loss of awareness characterized by blank staring ...  Read Article

What can I do to manage anxiety attacks?

Query: Hi doctor, I get a type of anxiety and fear of going out somewhere. Six years ago, when I was in high school some guy gave me something to smoke. I did not know what it was. That day, I went home and I was high. The next morning I woke up fine and went to school. After some time, I started to feel l...  Read Full »

Can sinus infection cause seizures?

Query: Hello doctor, I am writing to get a second opinion for my relative. He is a 19 year old male. He had a seizure last year and the second seizure was on last week. His EEG was normal and also had an MRI. The doctors said that he has chronic sinusitis with thickened mucosa and they started giving him...  Read Full »