Q. I get scared while sleeping and bite my tongue. What is the reason?

Dr. Gayatri Saraf
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 18, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2020

I have depression and anxiety and anger Issues. So, I used to get sleep paralysis a year ago but then it stopped happening itself. I never had panic attacks even with this severe depression. But a week ago I had my first panic attack and then I started having pain in my collar bone, left arm and head. So, like I would get triggered when I see someone crying or someone's death. Also, I cannot sleep at night I fear so many things that will happen to me if I close my eyes and two days ago I tried sleeping at night and I had SP. Then I did not sleep the next night and yesterday I tried sleeping again but I was getting scared every time I fell asleep. I would wake up by a shake and also I bit my tongue from places while I was asleep and it hurts now. Please, tell me what is it? What should I do?

#

You seem to have anxiety attacks along with a sleep disorder. The anxiety can be treated with medications from a psychiatrist. For the sleep issues, there are tests such as sleep studies available which can help diagnose what exactly it is. Usually tongue bite in sleep is unusual and seizures should be ruled out. So you can get a sleep study and EEG done and consult with a neurologist for sleep problems and with a psychiatrist for anxiety.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|