Dry Amd

Are there any promising drugs under trial for dry AMD?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 63 years old. I was diagnosed with dry intermediate AMD about five years back. The VA then was 20/25 and now it is 20/60. I am currently on AREDS. I am a non-smoker. I have an excellent health otherwise. The Amsler is normal. The recent OCT showed no fluid. Do you have any thoug...  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. For dry AMD (age-related macular degeneration), the recommendations mostly include AREDS2 (Age-related Eye Disease studies 2) formulation. The other recommendations are quitting smoking (in case of smokers), controlling hypertension, lipid level, diabetes and regular...  Read Full »

There is a cyst in the retina for my father. Which medicine will be suitable for him?

Query: Hi doctor, My father, who is 76 years old, has been diabetic for the last 25 years. He takes medicine and controls it within the range throughout. Around 20 years back, he had a cataract operation in both the eyes. There is no IOL. His eye problem started before two years. Due to which, there is bl...  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After seeing the photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I can see sub-RPE (retinal pigment epithelium) drusens and pigment epithelial detachment in both the eyes. There is also intraretinal cystic fluid. These findings are suggestive of wet age-related m...  Read Full »

Can I give Oxidon plus instead of Ocugold for my mother who is suffering from AMD?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is suffering from AMD. The doctor has recommended Ocugold tablet one per day. But, due to a shortage of this medicine, I am not able to get it. Can I give her Oxidon plus instead of Ocugold? Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Both Oxidon (Beta-carotene and Vitamin E) and Ocugold (Beta-carotene, Lutein, with Mixed carotene) are based on the AREDS (age-related eye disease study) formulation. Both are used in the treatment of AMD (age-related macular degeneration) of moderate severity. But in c...  Read Full »