Q. Do you have any thoughts on promising drugs for dry AMD?

Dr. Asif Manzoor
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 21, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 03, 2021

I am 63 years old. I was diagnosed with dry intermediate AMD about five years back. The VA then was 20/25 and now it is 20/60. I am currently on AREDS. I am a non-smoker. I have an excellent health otherwise. The Amsler is normal. The recent OCT showed no fluid. Do you have any thoughts on promising drugs like Fenretinide, statins or others under trial or research?

#

For dry AMD (age-related macular degeneration), the recommendations mostly include AREDS2 (Age-related Eye Disease studies 2) formulation.

The other recommendations are quitting smoking (in case of smokers), controlling hypertension, lipid level, diabetes and regular checking with an Amsler chart to pick early conversion of dry AMD into wet AMD.

• Your decrease in vision over five years may be due to lens changes or cataract, you have not mentioned about the cataract surgery done or not.
  • If there is no fluid or no change on Amsler, then AREDS and other precautionary measures are enough.
  • Trials are under way on Fenretinide as that decrease cytotoxins production in the retina.
  • The other trials being done include Saffron 20 mg/day. The evidence suggests that it is neuroprotective, but needs more research and authentic results. These are still under trial and there are no recommendations available till now.

There are more treatment options available for wet AMD as it is a vision-threatening condition. There are options of intravitreal injections and lasers (PDT- photodynamic therapy).

I would advise you to stick with the current therapy of AREDS and keep testing with Amsler. Keep in touch with your eye doctor about any new modality introduced for dry AMD. He will inform you.

Dry AMD.

AREDS and keep testing with Amsler.

Stop smoking, control BP, blood sugar and lipid level.

For further queries consult an eye care ophthalmologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Saffron seems interesting. I have not had cataract problems, but I forgot to mention that my right eye can only count fingers due to childhood trauma, corneal tear at the age of 8 years. I wonder the step an ophthalmologist would take in my situation. I will discuss with him soon.

#

• It is really sad to know about your second eye. So, your left eye will be considered as only eye and precious one.
  • In dry AMD, there will be RPE (retinal pigment epithelium) and atrophic changes. They can also decrease vision if cataract is not significant.
  • The Swept Source OCT (optical coherence tomography) can give a better view of RPE layer. I hope that will be available at every eye clinic.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Have a happy year ahead.

#

Thank you. May God bless you with healthy and successful life in coming years. Best wishes.

For further help consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|