Q. Can I give Oxidon plus instead of Ocugold for my mother who is suffering from AMD?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Published on Aug 26, 2018

My mother is suffering from AMD. The doctor has recommended Ocugold tablet one per day. But, due to a shortage of this medicine, I am not able to get it. Can I give her Oxidon plus instead of Ocugold? Please help.

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Both Oxidon (Beta-carotene and Vitamin E) and Ocugold (Beta-carotene, Lutein, with Mixed carotene) are based on the AREDS (age-related eye disease study) formulation. Both are used in the treatment of AMD (age-related macular degeneration) of moderate severity. But in case if your mother is a smoker, she should be cautious when using Ocugold or Oxidon, as both Oxidon and Ocugold are based on the AREDS 1 formulation and not on AREDS 2.

AREDS 2 has xanthins, whereas Oxidon and Ocugold (AREDS 1) have beta-carotene. Beta-carotene has been shown to cause harmful side effects in smokers, apart from this, both have the same actions. So in my opinion, if your mother is a smoker, it is advisable to use a drug having an AREDS 2 formulation. In case if she does not have the habit of smoking, you can use either of the two, Ocugold or Oxidon.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist