Q. Can I give Oxidon plus instead of Ocugold for my mother who is suffering from AMD?

Answered by
Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 26, 2018

Hi doctor,

My mother is suffering from AMD. The doctor has recommended Ocugold tablet one per day. But, due to a shortage of this medicine, I am not able to get it. Can I give her Oxidon plus instead of Ocugold? Please help.



Welcome to

Both Oxidon (Beta-carotene and Vitamin E) and Ocugold (Beta-carotene, Lutein, with Mixed carotene) are based on the AREDS (age-related eye disease study) formulation. Both are used in the treatment of AMD (age-related macular degeneration) of moderate severity. But in case if your mother is a smoker, she should be cautious when using Ocugold or Oxidon, as both Oxidon and Ocugold are based on the AREDS 1 formulation and not on AREDS 2.

AREDS 2 has xanthins, whereas Oxidon and Ocugold (AREDS 1) have beta-carotene. Beta-carotene has been shown to cause harmful side effects in smokers, apart from this, both have the same actions. So in my opinion, if your mother is a smoker, it is advisable to use a drug having an AREDS 2 formulation. In case if she does not have the habit of smoking, you can use either of the two, Ocugold or Oxidon.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Age-Related Eye Disorders and Their Conservative Prevention Measures

.. important of our bodily senses for daily activities and for work. Just imagine a situation wherein we would have to dress ourselves up for work, eat, drive and work without using our vision. This should give you a good perspective. Akin to all our...   Read full

I have red areas on my face. Is this rosacea?

I have also noticed that my skin has become a little leathery ... However, if it is rosacea, I would like to mention few skin care tips here: Avoid having very hot beverages like coffee, tea, ...   Read full

What could the speckled cloudy areas on each side of my skull X-ray be?

.. seen your report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The speckled cloudy areas on each side are your mastoid air cells that are filled with air and hence give such an appearance which is normal. However, I observe haziness inv...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Coronavirus Variant Arcturus: | Omicron XBB.1.16 Variant
Arcturus is an emerging variant of the Omicron virus that causes various symptoms and spreads rapidly across the world. ...  Read more»
Adrenaline Rush - Symptoms, Causes, Effects, and How to Control
Adrenaline is a hormone responsible for fight or flight response. It is also a neurotransmitter and medicine. It is also...  Read more»
Fatty Liver - Types, Symptoms, Stages, and Treatment
The liver is the largest gland in the body. Its primary function is to process the food and drinks we consume. and filte...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Eye Care Ophthalmologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.