Q. What can be the reason for my daughter's dry cough for five weeks?

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

My daughter has had a dry cough for about five weeks. It got better for a week, but it started again after a week. She has no other symptoms or problems like fever or throat pain. Her oxygen levels are also fine. I notice that while sleeping, too, she does not cough. We consulted a doctor and have been given Montair-LC tablet once at night and Bro-Zedex syrup three times a day. Please advise if this will solve the problem and if we need to do anything else.

#

I read your query and understand your concern.

The mentioned medications are more than enough.

I suggest you stop Bro-Zedex syrup (Bromhexine, Guaifenesin, Menthol, and Terbutaline) and continue the Montair-LC tablet (Levocetirizine and Montelukast) alone for a week.

If the cough persists for more than a week, you must visit a pulmonologist to check her chest using the stethoscope. At this point, the pulmonologist can add some cough suppressant.

It can be a seasonal allergy or allergy due to exposure to a particular allergen in the surrounding environment.

Thank you, doctor,

Our physician has advised TusQ-DX, Nexpro RD, and Montair-LC. Her chest x-ray is normal. But still, the cough persists, especially when she talks. No cough during nighttime while sleeping. In how many days can we expect relief?

#

I understand your concern.

You can expect some relief within a week.

|