Q. Patches of dry skin are present on inner thighs, face, and neck. What could this be?

Dr. Ashwini. V. Swamy
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 21, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 08, 2021

I have weird patches of dry skin on my inner thighs, face, and neck. The area has turned white and starts peeling. What could this be? Currently I am taking Cephalexin for UTI.

#

I saw the pictures (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). It could be seborrheic dermatitis, asteatotic eczema, tinea. I would need some more information from you to narrow it down to the most accurate diagnosis.

1) Is it itchy?

2) When did it start?

3) How is the weather in your place? Is it cold?

4) Do you have dandruff on the scalp?

5) Is there scaling around the nose or on eyebrows?

Thanks for the reply.

I got it after I came back from a vacation. It is not itchy, and I got the patches two days ago. There are no scales around the nose or eyebrows. I do not have dandruff, but I do use dandruff shampoo regularly. It looks like I have it on my shoulders, too but not that bad. I just looked at my breasts and nipples, and it is starting there too. I came back from the ER, and they took blood work but did not find any signs of infection.

#

Thank you for adding more information. With this information, I can rule out tinea and seborrheic dermatitis. Most likely, it is asteatotic eczema or dermatitis (dehydrated skin).

1) Did you swim in a chlorine pool during your vacation?

2) Do you remember using any new skin products like body lotion?

3) Do you use moisturizers regularly?

Thanks for the reply.

I did not moisturize at all, maybe once or twice, and did not drink water at all. I usually drink a gallon of water in a day. I thought it was on my thigh because we walked a lot, and my thighs rubbed together. I did not get in the pool, but I did lie out by the sun. How can I treat it? Can I use Cortisone?

#

1) Moisturizers are the key here. Use a moisturizer containing ceramides. Ceramides help to keep the skin barrier intact and prevent loss of moisture from the skin. Brands like CeraVe, Eucerin have ceramide. Apply moisturizers soon after a shower.

2) Use mild soaps for bathing.

3) Avoid hot shower. Use lukewarm water.

4) Over-the-counter Cortisone 1 percent cream can be used at night in the dry areas for one week.

Thanks for the reply.

I will surely follow your advice.

#

You are welcome. I hope that helped you. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

If I have any queries, surely I will ask you.

#

Please feel free to ask any queries. Take care.

Thanks for the reply.

I put some cream on, and it shows weird discoloration. Can you please tell me if it looks like psoriasis?

#

I did see some dark pigmentation in the thighs in your previous pictures (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), but it was mild. Sometimes the scented body lotion or cream, when exposed to sunlight, can cause darkening if the lotion or cream has photo-sensitive chemicals in it. Once you use moisturizer, it takes off the white scaling that makes the pigmentation more prominent.

Also, tell me the following details:

1) Which cream did you use?

2) Can you send the pictures showing the content of that cream?

3) Is it scented?

4) Did you go out in sunlight after applying cream?

5) Are you experiencing any symptoms like itching or burning after using that cream?

6) How about face and neck?

Thanks for the reply.

Face and neck have been fine after using various creams. I have sent you the pictures. The one in the baggy is Hydrocortisone. Does it look like psoriasis?

#

This does not look like psoriasis. Psoriasis will have thick plaques with silver-white flaky scales on a red background. Most commonly, psoriasis affects the elbow, knee, scalp, back. Exoderm cream also has Hydrocortisone. You can use either of them, and you do not need both. Anti-aging cream may contain Retinol, which can cause irritation and further dryness. You can hold off anti-aging cream for a week till the dryness is resolved.

Thanks for the reply.

Now my doubt is cleared. Thank you once more.

#

You are welcome. For further queries, contact me.

|