Q. How can I manage dry skin?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

I have a very dry skin to the point that it is stinging and very uncomfortable. Kindly give me recommendations for managing very dry skin. I am taking Iron supplements now. Previously, used to take Hydrocortisone.

#

Extreme dry skin can be because of cold weather or part of eczema or low thyroid hormones or ichthyosis (fish like scales). Do you have a history of eczema? Let me give you a few skin care tips for dry skin in general. Avoid a hot shower, use warm water instead. Use mild soap with moisturizer, like Cerave, Cetaphil. Use a moisturizer that has Ceramide in it, Ceramide protects the skin barrier. Apply moisturizer soon after a shower, when the skin is still partially moist or wet. Drink sufficient water, ( 2 to 3 liters per day). Eat fruits and vegetables rich in Vitamin A like carrot, beet, watermelon, mango, papaya, pumpkin. Vitamin A has a great role in skin health.

|