Q. There is some yellowish black thing after getting my tooth pulled. What is it?

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 17, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 21, 2021

I extracted a tooth before six days and there is space in that place now. But I have yellow black stuff under it. Is it normal? It does not hurt me but it makes me worried.

#

I have gone through the image and history (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The extracted site is not healed properly and it gives a yellow appearance to the area due to food lodgment and there is an absence of blood clot. You have a dry socket. You can take Amoxicillin 375 mg one tablet two times a day for five days, tablet Ibuprofen one tablet two times a day for five days, capsule Omeprazole one capsule two times a day and gargle with lukewarm water for two to three times a day.

Try to brush twice daily and avoid brushing the extracted area. Avoid taking sticky or sweet foods as much as possible. Start the medications soon. Revisit your dentist soon. The area needs dressing to remove food lodgement and the doctor should place a medicated gauge to soothe the pain and to promote healing. The dressing has to be done two to three times and the area will get healed within a week. So start the medication and get the dressing done soon by the dentist. It is a normal complication after extraction and do not rinse frequently or place the tongue on the area post-extraction.

-

|